Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt - How many will it feed?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first BB for pulled pork this weekend...Have 6 adults and 5 small kids. Is a 7 lb butt enough or do I need to cook 2. Thanks...

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Tillie, figure you get 2.4 servings out of a pound of butt. Figure each kid and each woman will eat one serving and each man will eat two servings. Your 7lb butt will provide 16.8 servings. If you have 3 men, 3 women and 5 kids, you will need 14 (3x2 + 3x1 + 5x1) servings. It should be enough but it doesn't leave any to eat later. Better do two.

• Tillie,
    Last weekend I cooked my first pork butt (7lbs) 16 hour cook and it was great. We had 6 adults and we had alot left over, 4 hours later we ate again and finished it. Can't wait to do it again! Hope this helps!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Wise One,
    Could you do that math for me? I am cooking for a homeless shelter for women. 30 women will be there. How many raw pounds of meat should I start with. And having leftovers is OK![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Wise One,[p]Are you allowing for "shrinkage"? The two butts I've done both shrunk by almost 50%...[p]I'd cook them both.[p]JMO,[p]Ryan

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    The Naked Whiz,
    I have a chart that someone posted. But it is at work. I will send you the site tomorrow. It tells you raw and cooked, how much you should buy. that is a good deed that you do.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    The Naked Whiz, 30 women should be fed by 12.5 LBs (30/2.4) but I bet they will eat a bit more than average. I would probably opt for 3 8-pounders which should be plenty and maybe a bit left over.