Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami! Thanks for the help...

Options
Never Summer
Never Summer Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Thirdeye's website and some of Grandpa's Grub's posts my pastrami turned out all right. On advice from the forum I went with a cherry/hickory smoke (given the woods I had to pick from).

I used the pressure cooker finish - I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have put a rack in the cooker so both halves were above the water. One half got steamed and one boiled, :blush: the steamed was definitely better.

It's been a while since I posted a pic, I hope this works:

pastrami.jpg

Now I just need to tweak my rye bread recipe :whistle:

The folks on this forum have done nothing but improve my cooks and expand my food horizons. :silly: B) :silly:

Thanks,

Patty

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Looks great and amen to the help and coaching we receive on this forum - great folks.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Boy, does that ever look goooood.

You know Patty, I mention using 3 cups of liquid, mostly as a safety factor because there are several sizes of pressure cookers out there, and it's a real drag if you have ever cooked one dry. By experimentation using your pressure cooker, you could adjust the liquid level.

My favorite pressure cooker is a shallow 3" one, and it has a shallow rack. I add liquid until it just covers the rack.

DSC06747JPGaa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Never Summer
    Options
    Yep, that's not the size of my pressure cooker, but your pic shows just what I need to do.

And you're right, in mine I don't need the three cups of water. It's always fun experimenting.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Patty
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    I also used the thirdeye recipe for pastrami with the pressure cooker finish. It was without a doubt some of the best I've had and really made great Reuben sandwiches. In fact I bought a smaller pressure cooker than the one I use for canning just to make more pastrami. Thanks for recipe.

--Dave
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I just made an edit to my pastrami page regarding the amount of liquid and using the rack.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery