Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon Question

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of smoking some large salmon filets. The recipes in the egghead cookbook section of this site leave me with one question. If I am smoking the fish at less than 200 degrees, should I use the plate setter?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    if you can keep temps low without any high spikes i would say you can do it without. i would go raised grid direct and just use a very small amount of lump, you dont need much. i do jerkey cooks direct at temps between 145 and 175. if your nervous about holding low temps then use the platesetter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    When I smoke salmon using Thirdeye's method I use the platesetter. The last time I easily held 175-185 for 3 hours without using my guru. It was raining then but not sure that really mattered
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I’ve had some trouble holding a REAL low fire. Can’t say why, but I have. Actually had the darn fire go out once!!
    I have to admit I haven’t smoked salmon…But I would think a plate setter surely would help with the process. I say this, as I use one when doing sausage and jerky.