Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ help - Boston Butt

Options
Eublet
Eublet Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first use of the DigiQ tonight. Doing a Boston Butt, low and slow. I have 3 questions, please:
1) what pit temp should I use?
2) where should I clip the pit probe? I plan to put the butt in an inverted V-rack over a drip pan. I was thinking I'd clip it on the side of the Vrack.
3) How should I set the daisy wheel for this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    What size egg are you using and what blower do you have?

Clipping the probe can be done on the stem of the dome thermometer or on the V-Rack or grate.

I usually clip at food level.

A nice pit cooking temperature is 230° at food level and 250° if clipping on the dome thermometer.

For my large, I close the Viper fan to 1/3 open and the DFMT - slider closed and petals 1/8 to 1/4 open.

As I recall the duty cycle of the fan should be about 50 to 60 percent. I would need to go back over to the Guru site to double check the duty cycle. The duty cycle is the number of times the blower is running (display flashes during duty cycle). The number of blinks between rests = % of on time.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Forgot to mention. If clipping the pit probe at food level keep the probe a couple of inches away from the meat. The meat temperature can affect the reading if the probe is close enough to the cool food.

If clipping at food level the (calibrated) dome should read about 30° to 50° higher than the q2. If clipping on the dome thermometer stem the temperatures should be about 5° to 15° of each other. Don't worry if they aren't the same.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Eublet,

This is a simple, easy cook, especially with the DigiQ.

1) Pit temp - 225* (will be about 240-250* dome)
    2) I clip my pit probe onto the meat probe about an inch or so above the meat. That way it measures the air temp around the meat. Some clip it to the end of the dome temp probe. If you do that, the set you pit temp for 240-250* instead of 225*.
    3) Put in lots of fresh lump after thoroughly cleaning out the egg and the ash area. It seems to burn longer if you take the time to stack the lump larger pieces up to smaller pieces. If you have 3-4 pieces of hickory chunks, mix them in (dry) with you lump. Light the lump in 3 places (10-2-4). Once the lump starts to burn, close the dome, put in the inverted platesetter, a drip pan, your grid and the vrack. Clip your pit probe to the vrack or grid then close the dome and turn on the DigiQ. I close the Daisy wheel almost all the way and only crack it if smoke starts coming out along the gasket or through the lower vent opening. You create a little increased pressure inside the egg which may help with the smoke flavor. Set the meat temp to zero to prevent alarming. Let this stabilize for 45 min to an hour, then add the meat. Your dome temp may decrease for a while from the cold mass added but the DigiQ will correct it soon. Set your goal meat temp to 200 or 205*. Once the pit temp restabilizes, I close down the fan damper to 1/2 open. This seems to save on the lump consumption.

4) TIP - If you are in the Ramp Mode, the DigiQ will start decreasing the pit temp when the meat gets to within about 20 degrees of your goal (180-185 in this example). At that time, if you are running short on time and need to speed it up, then just turn the meat "goal temp" up 20 degrees. IF you do this, you need to keep a close watch on it so you don't overshoot.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out -- remember pics ! :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Clip it to the Dome thermometer and set it for 250 Degs.

Forget the v-rack and put the butt right on the normal grate.

Set the daisy so you can feel the air being forced out. Doesn't need to be much.

Pulled Pork
  • Eublet
    Options
    I have an XL with the Viper 10 CFM fan.

Someone said to not use the V-Rack, but there is no room under the grate for a drip pan. I'm thinking of running up to Home Depot and picking up some hardware to get my grate a bit higher so I can put a drip pan underneath with some beer and cider in it. If I do that I won't need the V-rack. I want to make sure the smoke and heat is getting all around the butt and that there's plenty of room for a drip pan to catch the fat.
  • Eublet
    Options
    One more question:

What should I set the damper to for an XL? I've read some here who say 75% open. BBQ Guru site says wide open for extra large ceramic grills. I read where someone else recommended choking it way back to around 33% open.

The reason I'm concerned is that I'll be dropping this on late tonight, and will likely only have a couple of hours to watch it before I'm off to bed.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    rule #32 of the BGE creed.

thou shalt learn how to maintain the temp without wires, before you learn to maintain the temp with wires.

plenty of folks have had the egg go out even with a powered draft unit. make sure you have the whole "well-built stable fire' thing mastered. it isn't hard...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i like the butt on a vee-rack because i can pick it up and flop it into a big bowl. the one time i forgot to put it on the vee rack, it fell apart trying to take it off the regular grid. not a big deal, but just a little easier the other way for me...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante