Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

butt done early

JohnBJohnB Posts: 174
edited 10:41AM in EggHead Forum
Started a 6.5 lbs. pork butt at about 8 last night. At 8 this morning it was at 200. The dome remained steady at 250 over night. Anyway, I'm not serving this until 7 or so this evening. My question is: should I let this cool down, refrigerate it and then heat it back up, or should I let it stay warm for the next 10 hours before I pull it?

thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Pull it, refrigerate it, then reheat later.

Oh, and eat a little now, just because you can!
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    If you try and keep that warm until this evening it will be mush. Pull it, refrigerate it, and warm it later this evening, you'll be much happier with the results than if you try and keep it warm.

Troy
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    sorry, replied under the wrong post.
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Good suggestions above.

BTW, It really didn't finish early -> 1.5-2 hrs per pound means that at 12 hours it was right on time.

You can add a little water and apple juice to the meat before rewarming to help keep it juicy. Some add real coca cola, but I just can't see adding 240 extra calories to it - but that's just me. :)