Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are the essential rubs?

mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made the North Carolina rub (for butts) from scratch, and it turned out just delicious! I did one modification, however. I ran out of paprika and substituted it with some Old Bay seasoning. Again, it was quite good. I also have some Julio's rub and a few others, but I was wondering what all you acclaimed Eggheads would consider your favorite and/or essential rubs to have at all times. I see a lot of references to Dizzy Pig, and I believe they have a bunch of them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Back,Foot,Shoulder,Neck and Butt! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :whistle: Just kidding although all those are great.DP and several others.Most people just eggsperiment with different rubs and sauces,marinades and such.It's all personal preference! :)
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Thanks Hoss, I can envision you laughing as you typed that!
  • Hoss
    Sometimes,I can't help myself. :huh: :silly: There are a ton of great rubs out there.My opinion,just buy the smallest amount you can of several different ones and do taste tests.Gives more reasons to cook stuff,like we need that! :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I suggest you order the sample pack from Dizzy Pig. Since I ordered their rubs, that's just about all I have used.

I also use a rub made locally (Pearl, MS) by Rebel Butcher Supply - has a Colonel Reb on the label. Lots of paprika and makes a great butt rub. It's not found locally in retail outlets, but they told me they sell a lot in Texas (might be under a different label). I just buy mine at their warehouse.

Like Hoss said, once he got somewhat serious, :) you just have to try different ones to find what you and the wife prefer. Hey, good excuse for lots of cooks ! :woohoo:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    All of the DP rubs are good. Fine flavor blends, and very fresh spices. The basic Dizzy Dust works for about everything. I am a big fan of Ragin' River. For steaks I go back and forth between Raisin the Steaks and Cowlick.

I've enjoyed several John Henry's rubs. From the Spice House in Chicago, their Bronzeville Rib rub, for me, stands out among the dozen or so blends they offer.

Pendrey's from Texas has some really good chili blends.

It can get a little expensive, and a bit wasteful, but buying a few dozen rubs from various makers should show you those you really like.
  • ShortRIb
    ShortRIb Posts: 88
    I find the rubs I make from scratch the most satisfying.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Anything from Dizzy Pig.

Or if your like me everything from Dizzy Pig.

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Here is the rub I mentioned in the above post. My Dad and I just call it "Rebel Rub". You might can find this locally in TX.

DSC_0010.jpg
  • Dizzy Pig and Bad byron's.
  • Hoss
    Wher are you Bordello??? Chime in here!!! :evil: