Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need another Egg!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a large, and its just me and the wife, so that should be plenty. I've got some friends coming in on Thursday, and I was going to do 1 beer-butt chicken and 1 spatchcocked for a side-by-side comparison. On Friday I was going to start the butts for the party I'm having on Saturday, but I'd love to be able to cook some steaks on Friday night for the guests. What to do?? I suppose I could do an early dinner on Friday and let the egg drop to 225 or so while we're eating the steaks, then throw on the butts. I was doing two of them, and need them done by 4:00 or so on Saturday, so that would really be pushing it.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    RG,[p]Hey, it's only Tuesday. Plenty of time to pick up another Egg. Maybe a small for the steaks while the butts are cooking. [p]Chuck
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    RG,[p]I would do the steaks, then keep both vents almost closed to get the temperature down. Enjoy the steaks, and after dinner, add some more lump (if necessary), whatever wood you prefer, and put the butts on. I usually start overnight cooks for midafternoon servings as laye as 10 pm or midnight. You should have plenty of time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chuck,[p]After careful consideration (and wondering why I didn't think of it sooner) I think I'll just do the steaks on Thursday night. I can do the chickens on Friday and the egg won't have used as much lump or have to cool down as much as it would from steaks. They can be a late lunch, and for some reason chicken for lunch just makes more sense than steaks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I hope thats the case. Last time I did a butt it took over 20 hours, but I did spend a few hours trying to drop the temp after I'd let it get too far up. This will be the first time I've ever cooked two at the same time, but wouldn't think it would affect the time it takes. If it takes a little longer its not really a big deal...the party will just have to last longer too. Not such a bad thing.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    RG,
    If you make sure the butts are not touching, it shoud not take much longer than doing just one. We do two quite frequently, and have not noticed a time difference. [p]~nikki

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    RG,[p]I've just copied this from another post below. I'll link the post so you can read the whole post as well. What you are wanting to accomplish is very doable.[p]HTH,
    Ashley[p]
    Something else to consider is say you want to grill some steaks and burgers for the evening meal. You also want to start a overnight cook for a Boston Butt as well. You would want to start a fire with a couple handfuls of lump and get it going to grill the steaks/burgers with. Once you are finished grilling, close down the bottom vent to within a 1/8th inch and allow to come down in temp while you are eating. Open the cooker, add your smoking wood and then add your additional charcoal to fill up to the fire ring. Allow to come up slowly to your target temp and the acrid smoke to settle down. Then add the food to be smoked overnight. You may have to make a couple more adjustments, but I usually don't. This method works very well for me and has for sometime now.

[ul][li]http://biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/83015.shtml[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Zip,[p]I appreciate that...will give it a try.[p]BTW, my father-in-law is a fishing guide in Louisiana. I am looking forward to my next trip there so I can bring home a redfish to do on the egg. I've gotta find out how he cooks it, because its fabulous his way. I imagine you've had some success doing fish, but not sure if you have any redfish in Florida.
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    RG,[p]Redfish in Florida? Heck yea, we got 'em. You can only harvest only one each day that is between 18" and 27". They are not commercially available. As far as cooking them, grilled with a cajun style seasoning and butter works well. Usually fillets, skin on works well and is preferred by me.[p]A cast iron griddle in the egg taken to sub-nuclear temps works too if you like it blackened. You do eat 'em blackened don't you? [p]Ashley