Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

changes to egg

Options
outrageous
outrageous Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a older model egg which i bought used. it has old hinge and ceramic grate. it is in great condition. has the basic egg construction changed in last ten yrs or so. i will upgrade the band/hinge one day, but heck, as good as it cooks, i hate to touch it.....just wondering about the construction of basic egg.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    This is a great question! I have a egg that's just a couple of years old and I recently purchased an older egg with the same hinge that you described. I updated mine with new handle, hinge, wings and nest.

The dome on the older model doesn't seem to be be so "domey" if that makes any sense. Not as round. It looks more like the dome on the XL Egg.

I was super fortunate to find this older egg. I don't think it was used more than 5 times as the fire box was still virtually white on the inside. A great find.

Young or old, these eggs are great!

eddiemac
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I recently upgraded an older model large with a new hinge assembly and SS draft door. I was given an older nest from a friend who had a large base that was replaced under warranty. His new base wouldn't fit in the older nest (opening in nest was too small)........so, the answer to your question is yes, the newer bases have a larger diameter than the older (pre '97) versions; at least at the bottom of the base.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    I got an older but unused Small from a dealer that had it on the floor for over 10 years. It has the old scissor hinges on the side which have a tendency to pull the bands out of alignment. Can't be replaced because the new spring assisted ones are much wider than the ones on there and won't let the 2 halves close all the way.