Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm so Egg-cited, can't wait til Wednesday,

Options
BucsFanJim
BucsFanJim Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned my last Weber Kettle...after my 5th one I am finally tired of having the legs fall out when you tried to move it from point A to point B. Especially when you're dodging raindrops and the kettle is full of .... flaming hot Kingsford. It will be curbside for Thursday's trash pick-up.
My large BGE will be delivered on Wednesday. I am not a novice when it comes to grilling but I have a couple of questions about starting my egg. [p]I know that you must use lump charcoal, but what about a starter. Can one use fatwood? [p]Should the insides of the egg be seasoned? I know with my smokers, I always sprayed them with Pam and rubbed them down with a spice mixture the cranked them up once before cooking on them. Is that o.k with the BGE.... or just go ahead and cook and let the cooking do the seasoning?[p]I love this message board. I have been lurking on it for a week now and made the decision to buy my BGE based on the resources posted here. The Naked Whiz has a great site![p]Thanks in advance for your help!
Adios Weber Kettle!!!!

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    BucsFanJim, you don't have to use lump, but you can't post here if you use briquettes. Just kidding, but I use lump because it burns cleaner and hotter. Fatwood, or as it's called around here, lighter knot, is too full of terpenes which will give a terpentine flavor if not well burned of prior to placing food over the fire. I wouldn't risk it. Get a chimney from walmart or a larger one from weber to light the lump. Walmart has a green goo which is ethanol based which I find quite adequate to get the chimney going.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    Better yet, go to Home Depot and buy yourself a MAPP GAS burner. It's like a butane torch, but hotter. Cost about $40 and should last you the better part of a year with multiple weekly cooks.
    No need to season, but take a long look at that nice and clean inside. It won't last long.
    Keep lurking, you'll learn a lot.
    Are you from Tampa? I'm asking because of your handle. If so, we have a great bbq store here that sells, not only eggs, but a full line of egg gadgets.
    Welcome aboard

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Ditto on the MAPP torch. I used to use a propane torch ... MAPP is better. Besides, it's the real man's way to start a load 'o lump.
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p] That is one "Sweet Momma Jesus, lookee there!!!" kind of BBQ command post!! If I had something like that on my porch, I don't think I'd ever leave home. One question, what is that thing sticking out of the lower damper of the large Egg? [p] Man, would sure like to see that thing in person some day. You in Tampa? Have a brother that lives there. Visited him just last week. (He was nice enough to take me by the store you mentioned) [p] Have a good one!! Mac

• smokeypete
    smokeypete Posts: 63
    Options
    The Other Dave, i use a couple pages of newspaper to start my carbon in a chimney, it gets it going pretty fast and doesn't have any flavor i can detect.

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]I'm from Kansas ... coming down to South Carolina end of the week though. Will try for Springfield, MO Eggfest in August just to "watch the pro's".[p]That "thing" isn't sticking out ... it's a small 120 volt computer fan from a salvage place that I use to get the temps up after lighting my lump. Electrical switches on the front of the cabinet. Overkill. Works good though.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p]What part of SC?[p]Jim
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    JSlot,[p]I'm taking my girlfriend and her two kids to her folks in Pamplico, SC. The kids are staying for a month or so. We may end up going to Virginia (VA Beach area) instead, to visit her uncles and have her Mom come up and get the kids. Not sure yet. Probably Pamplico, SC this weekend.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p]Wow! That's some set-up you got there... :)[p]Ryan[p]
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    Wardster,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Yep... I live in Brandon. I think I know what store you're talking about...it's on Kennedy in Tampa. I was in there a few weeks ago and got pricing etc. My Egg is coming from another store, got a better deal (know someone that knows a dealer)
    I'll be looking for that MAPP burner. Gotta go to Home Depot anyway to buy some new pavers to set the BGE on so it will be off the pool deck.
    Thanks again.

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    Really nice set-up you have there. Almost brings a tear to my eyes. [p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]If you're a camper, consider joining a bunch of us Florida eggers Oct 10-13 for a camping "egg"stravaganza. We haven't finalized plans yet, but are considering several places including Ginnie Springs, or maybe one of the state parks.....[p]Check out the thread below "Nature Coast/Florida Egg Camping Trip"[p]Welcome!
    QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]Thread on Camping[/ul]
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks for the welcome and the heads-up on the camping. I just looked at the Bucs schedule...they're away that weekend so that's cool..I'll keep it in mind!

• Smokey Bob
    Smokey Bob Posts: 74
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    What are the names of these stores you mentioned in Tampa?
    I live over in Sebastian and we only have Pinch a penney over here and they are too expensive.[p]Many thanks[p]SB

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Smokey Bob,
    The one in Tampa is The Outdoor Kitchen Store. Really nice people and seem to be true Eggheads. Let them know what you're looking for.