Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Mashed Potatoes

TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you haven't done these yet they are a must EGG dish.The recipe is in the recipe section. The cedar flavor with he tators is incredible. No Eggshot today as it started to pour when the food was done. Here are the planked tators
IMG_0571.jpg
I made a half batch.
Some premarinaded Lemon Garlic Pork Tenderloin from Wegmans
IMG_0573.jpg
And the plated dish with a Romaine salad
IMG_0575.jpg
The cedar even added a nice flavor to the pork ;)

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    That looks great Tom :woohoo: I agree,that's some tasty taters ;) :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Always a great side dish. Here is my southern version.

Potatoes, Mashed, Cedar-Planked, POYAMS, (Potatoes/Yams). Richard Fl

Thanks to the recipes from Smokin' Lady and IBeeSmok'n, I have made this great side dish of mashed potatoes and yams. POYAMS!!.

POYAMSVEGGIESBREAD.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
    1 Large Yam
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    Parmesan Cheese
    Bacon Bits
    Garlic Cloves, Cooked in foil pouch on BGE if time allows and mixed in..
    OR Garlic Powder
    Salt/Pepper
    Parsley/Chives for garnish
    Cedar Planks

Procedure:
    1 Peel the potatoes and yams. Cut into small pieces, 1 1/2 inch or so. Boil for 12-15 minutes, not mushy. Mash or use a potato ricer. Mix in melted butter, garlic, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, seasoning.
    2 Take pre-soaked cedar planks , an hour or so, and put poyams on them. Place in BGE 350 indirect for 30-40 minutes. Remove add butter, parsley/chives and serve.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/05/25

2008/06/23
    Slick There's another version floating around that uses ranch dressing, cream, cheddar cheese, and string cheese. I made them last week without the string cheese, added some garlic, fresh chives, and parsley. My wife and I both agreed that they were the best we ever tasted. The ranch dressing adds alot of flavor. I want to try it next time with sweet potatoes in the mix as previously suggested. You really don't need to worry about how much of each to add. Really depends on how many potatoes you have. I used about 2/3 Ranch dressing to 1/3 cream. The creamy salad dressing idea has me thinking that anything on hand would work, such as bleu cheese or parmesan peppercorn. Even if I don't plank them, I know that future mashed potatoes will no longer be "ordinary". Slick
  • I can't find the recipe...can you please either post it or a link? Thanks.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Great looking meal there man.That is one of my favorite ways to do taters.Can't tell by your picture if you have any crumbled bacon in there or not.If not give it a try.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Scroll down in this thread
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=465539&catid=1#

I have made it with 4:1 Yukon Gold and a sweet potatoe and it is even better.
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    I love cedar planked mashed potatoes!!!!!!!!
  • Those look great but doesn't the outside get dry?
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    TomM24, gotta friend looking to do some different tenderloin. Can you share the receipe