Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cucumber salad recipe?

Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a good cucumber salad recipe? I'm looking for something to just toss together. Thanks.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Todd, this isn't really a salad but its close. It is our favorite dish in the summer when the tomatoes are ripe. -RP
    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/bruschetta-with-tomatoes-cucumbers-and-basil?autonomy_kw=cucumber bruschetta&rsc=image_1
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Thanks Randy, I'll have to give it a try. The basil gets planted this weekend.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Loved this recipe. TKS Randy!!
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Never wrote it down but I make a cucumber and onion salad like this--
    Partially remove green skin from cukes, leaving some green for looks and crunch.
    Slice Vidalia onions about 1/4" thick and quarter the slices. Ratio is about 3 cukes to 1 large onion.
    Place both in bowl and place in fridge.
    Once they cool there will be lots of juice from the cukes. Add white vinager, start with 1/4 cup for 4 cukes. Mix and add turbinado sugar little at a time and place back in fridge for 1/2 hour. Add more vinager/turbinado to taste. Have also added dill to this when I had fresh in the garden. Serve cold.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Moms recipe
    Use a little sugar, olive oil, red wine vinegar and fresh basil and/or oregano over fresh cucumbers,onions,tomatoes,summer vegs.
    Not really any measurements as it depends on no of vegs.
    Toss vegs and chill for 20 mins in frig.
    The longer you allow to marinate the better the taste.
    At least that's the way my mom taught us.
    jon
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Forgot--you need to slice the cukes!!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Not really a salad but is very good and easy to make.
    Peel cukes and run a fork down the length of the cuke to score it.Slice and put into a collander and sprinkle with kosher salt and let it sweat for a couple of hours in the fridge.Drain off water and top with sour cream and a little salt.Yummy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    sliced cucumbers, quartered tomatoes, splash with cheap italian dressing then top with peter lugers steak sauce. ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i like japanese stlye with rice vinegar i do not use much sugar cukes and a little vinegar nice clean taste

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,japanese_cucumber_salad,FF.html

here is bunch
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    nm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    since richard is not responding here is what i have todd:::

Cucumber, Sweet And Sour Fresh --Taeng Kwa Brio Wan

INGREDIENTS:
    2 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, sliced thinly
    1 small red onion, peeled, halved, sliced thinly
    1/2 tsp dried red chile flakes
    4 Tbs granulated sugar
    1/2 cup water
    5 Tbs white vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt

Preparation:
    1 Place cucumber, onion and chile flakes in a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, over low heat, dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and salt. Pour this mixture over the vegetables in the bowl. Stir and refrigerate until served.
    2 I remove the seeds from the cucumbers.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Salad, Side Dish, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: Steven Douglass

Source: BBQ List, Steven Douglass, 08/24/98

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 94
    If dieting or diabetic: Splenda has good recipes for cucumber salad. If the link doesn't work just go to Splenda website.
    The recipe we like is Danish Cucumber Salad.

http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=106782

Dawn
    Oshkosh, WI
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Todd: You have to try this one. We cut it out of the Market Bulletin years ago and loved it. We have made it on many occasions for ourselves, and have also brought it to functions where others have tried it and always ask for the recipe. (The Market Bulletin is published by Ga. Dept of Agriculture. Used to be free, haven't been on the mailing list in years though. Not sure if it is even still available. Always had good recipes in it.) Here goes:

Summer Salad

3 Cups Cooked Macaroni
    3 Cucumbers
    1 Green Bell Pepper, Large, Chopped
    1 Onion, Small, Sliced
    3 Tomatoes, Chopped
    ½ Cup Mayonnaise
    ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    Salt and pepper

Combine first 5 ingredients. Combine mayonnaise and cider vinegar. Toss with vegetables and macaroni. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate before serving.

Anne Ridgeway from the Market Bulletin
  • When the vidalia's start coming in we put a gallon pickle jar in the fridge full of chunks of vidalia's, cukes, green tomatoe, squash, or whatever is fresh for the day. We kinda sorta add to it as we eat it. As for the liquid, we use a couple of bottles of Hendrickson's salad dressing. It's good eats!

Here's what the dressing looks like...

http://www.stevessundrybooksmags.com/interest.htm
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    We enjoy cucumber salad as follows: sliced cucumber, salt, pepper, and sour cream. It is a very good side dish for just about everything.