Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OFF TOPIC: anybody else reaching 65?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In less than 3 months I'm going to be 65 years old. You know - OR if you don't that means you can apply for Social Security even though you have NOT reached your age defined retirement age (no longer 65 folks!!!) to receive 100%!

Anyway, I arrived at the SS office today about 9:12 braced for the worst. After reading the sign out front I made sure I left my phone, my drink, my food, my weapon and some other evil items behind. Though the office had not opened until 9:00 there were already 18 people waiting in chairs all with nothing to read so I guess my newspaper made half of them spontaneously think and slap their head as if to say "why the hell didn't I bring something to read?" I'm sure the other half there today couldn't read anyway! I swear within minutes a 40 passenger bus must have dropped off a load of people so immediately I thought this was my lucky day to be ahead of the crowd!

I proceeded to the station with a computer touch screen, made my selection as for why I was there and not at home enjoying my retirement and the printer spit out a slip saying I was number 7. Lucky day, lucky number I thought! I sat down and started to read my newspaper. After about 10 minutes someone in a window yelled out "number 94". I assumed most people there couldn't comprehend a number higher than 100 so I quickly did the math and decided that meant there were 13 people ahead of me so...was my number 7 more lucky than superstitious 13 or not? Time would tell...

I'm not a social snob nor germ-a-phobic, but there were people of all walks of life and I was happy to have staked out a chair at the end of a row furthest from the door hoping most people would take the nearest seat to the door, die in transit, or otherwise melt from body odor.

Much to my surprise I moved though the process with ease and was back in my car along with my phone, water and weapon of choice precisely 1 hour later having completed the application!.

It actually went well, but the episode made me feel old...like someone on a public address system at the SS building announced "ATTENTION: RRP has just applied for Medicare! Now WATCH OUT the old fart is driving off in a car!"
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    RRP'

I did it 5 years ago been collecting it ever since

Ross
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    RRP, Do not feel old, feel great that you made it to 65! Life does not end at 65 but is a new beginning. This is the time of our lives we have worked so hard for, now is a time of celebration. Now is a time to pursue our wildest dreams, to seek our hearts desires that we have not had time for until now. The children have fled the nest, we have laid our jobs to rest, we have earned the right to call this time our own! Wake up every morning with a smile, knowing that the day is ours to live to it's fullest!

Congratulations!!! :woohoo:

Man, that sounds great, you got me beat by about 7 years.

Gator
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    "ATTENTION: RRP has just applied for Medicare! Now WATCH OUT the old fart is driving off in a car!"...That's exactly what I saw on the news tonight! :laugh: BTW, I'm betting that the number only counted to "99". Eitherway, Congrats!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    here's hoping you double it.

a woman in france was knocking on the door of 130 or so. imagine how much SS you'd get back if you lived that long.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    05/25/44. Been doing it since age 62, figure the early sign up and my health -good so far- allowed me to get the statistically best deal. Lets start an old F#$%^*('s BGE group.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I signed up via the Internet at age 64. It was a nice surprise to learn that they pro-rate your benefits. I would have had to wait until 65+8 mos to get 100% benefits but by signing up earlier it only cost me about $100 a month. Of course there was some question as to whether I would even make it to age 65 at the time, much less find a job.

Also, Medicare makes it easy to sign up. They just send you a card showing the effective date. If you "don't" want part "B" you let 'em know but it's automatic if you don't decline it.

Also, you can manage your benefits on-line. So far I haven't seen one person from the government and haven't had a single problem.

Finally, after considerable research I opted for AARP's Medicare Supplement package. Worth it. AARP has saved me a bundle on my homeowners, auto and medical insurance. No problems with them either.

Congratulations on your elevated status to "Official Old Phart."

Spring "The Pressure Is Off" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Been there, done that. Almost the same as you except for the weapon. Good luck trying to get medicare to be your primary payer. Been trying to do that for about a year.

Jump in your car and head out for a wickid bichin car trip for about two months you ol' fart.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    started drawing ss at 64 im 70 now and going strong and using the egg almost everyday.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    6-4-46 Started drawing last year and just loving it. There is a provision in the SS benefits package that allows you to start drawing now and if you decide to, change to the higher amount later. The requirement is you must repay amount you received from SS up to that point. The person I talked to at SS said not many folks do it but it is an option. Will see how it looks when I reach “full benefits” age.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    All I know is that, after reading your subject line I thought to myself "I sure hope so".

Unfortunately for me, that is basically all I know, so it may be a tough stretch between now and then! At least I'm learning to make better food by reading this forum.

Good luck to all. It is good to know some of my SS payments are going to end up with nice folks like you. I'll probably never get a penny of it back.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I made the decision to file for SS about 18 months ago when I turned 62. Our local office was much like yours except most seemed to be suffering from a terminal case of body odor and all seemed to prefer loud conversation over quiet reading. My thoughts were to take the 25% reduction in benefits and run. I am still faced with the decision on Medicare but still have time to see how this socialized medicine krap works out.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I signed up for SS at age 62. I turned 65 in February and after a mixup with my former employer trying to enroll me in a Medicare Advantage plan I didn't want I am on Traditional Medicare with a Horizon BCBS Medigap plan as secondary. Jersey Girl is one year behind me in the process.