Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Lotta Butt

Panhandle Smoker
Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a big cook for a funeral recption tomorrow and I roped myself into this one. :ohmy: Here is a lotta butt the Large.
IMG_5750.jpg

And a lot more on the XL.
IMG_5751.jpg
All are doing well just Smokin along. :)

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    WOW, by the look of it, you have 60-80 lbs if pork there (probably 45-55 lbs after smoking). How many do you have to feed?

Just a guess, but you are looking at 16-20 hrs of cook time.
  • Wow is right! That is going to be some great comfort food. Good for you!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Egger for 13 years and counting!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • It will be feeding 200-300. I started at 1100 and the service is at 1300 tomorrow. The Reception will follow. I borrowed a gas smoker so I was to lighten the load a little by 2 on the Xl and one on the Large. I was just getting worried about time. I will have to be packed dressed and out the door by 1130. Tomorow morning. :ohmy: 16-20 would be perfect 20 is ok but in the buffer zone :ohmy:
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    I've never loaded down my large like that :laugh: Do you have to rotate such a load to make sure they finish about the same time?
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Just my 2 cents so you don't get caught late..
    I'd watch for the 'sweet spot' break down of the tissues, then crank it up.

When they get to 195, HDAF them.... If you are extra extra early, wrap them tight and let them sit in the oven for a bit to avoid them cooling down too much.

I guess you are an expert, based on the amount you are doing though, so who am I to say...

I just had one bad experience when I ran out of heat (cheap fuel). I had to unload, refuel, and bring it back up to temp. I probably lost about 1.5 hours on that deal.

To avoid wasting fuel, I try to keep it and low as possible, then adjust as needed after the break-down period.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    If you are worried about time kick the temp up to shorten it. I have been in binds before and I just kicked up to 325 and everything turned out fine. It just didn't take as long
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    At a contest recently I had an EGG go out (my fault) and started 2 butts at 07:30 for a 13:30 turn in. I started the first step of the cook at 650° and then wrapped and lowered the temp to about 475°.

They got to sit in the cooler for about an hour and were almost all the way done...probably 85% of the meat was falling apart.
  • I am moving them around occasionally because of the over hang of the platesetter. I am no expert but I have done a few butts in my days. This is by far the most I have ever done at once. There are a total of 12 butts and most are over 7#'s.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    WOW! is right Eddie. Sounds like your in complete control, no surprise there, great job!

Gator
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Oh.. could you please post pics when themz is dun?
  • I am amazed as was my father when he came down of how much meat I was able to fit on one Large and one XL. I have hovered around 250* since 1130 this morning. I will be up every few hours to ensure I don't have a flame out during the night. There are some high Profile people supposed to be in attendance, so If this thing goes south I may have to go AWOL. :laugh:
  • pics of my courts martial or the cook? :laugh:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Hope all goes well! May God bless!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That buncha butts makes them Eggs look about 2 sizes smaller. Have you ever stacked or used a raised grid to stack even more on? I think I saw Celtic Wolf post some pictures of his HUGE military cooks and had 2 levels of butts.
  • I tried butt these butts are too big. I had to stand them on end to get them to fit.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Wow that is a lot of meat. The most I have done are four 8 pounders for the superbowl. I did them two level with a raised grid. They took me 26 hours and were great. I hope everything turns out right.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wow, Panman. Way to go. Nice of you to do that at such a difficult time. Hope it all works out. Pics and document for the next one. You might have alot of requests after this.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • It has been a lot of work and stress but the "old Man" was worth it. He was very well liked and has been a positive influence on many, 29 years in the service of his country, A True Guardian. This will not be a mourning of his death but a celebration of his life.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wonderfully put!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Holy Smokin' Eddie!! Sorry for the occaision of the cook, but you are obviously going to brighten many people's day! ;) Hope it turns out perfect! :)
  • Question for you LC, Serving this many, would you sauce it or serve it plain and have sauce in squeeze bottles?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Eddie...I am assuming you are going to pull this pork?? (even if just pulled roughly?) If so, I would sauce it just enough to make sure it remains moist, but not so much that the sauce is an obvious addition. (make sense?) Then, yes, have additional bottles of sauce on the side for those who want more. (Do you plan to serve it any way other than pulled?? Just curious)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Boy that sounds familiar Eddie :whistle:
  • Yes we are going serve it pulled. Served with or without buns. I will probably be taking them off the Egg between 2:00 and 4:00 AM foil and rest in a cooler for a few hours. We will pull later in the day around 12:00 or 1:00. The reception is around 2:PM. I may lower my temps to prolong the cook time a bit on the smaller ones.
  • Yea the poll is about 50/50. I got to thinking (dangerous) about waiting to pull the meat until almost ready to serve so it would not dry out any. I was just about to get some shut eye and noticed the large at 200* opened the vents and went back inside. Came back a few minutes later and we are at 190*. Look down in and I did not see much lump. Moved things around to get the butts into the other smokers and it was almost out of fuel. :ohmy: I reloaded and waited until the smoke cleared and shuffled again. took about 30 minutes to get her cookin again. The XL is still full of lump. same lump same bag. I am scratching my head as to why it ran out after only 12 hours.
  • soulfish
    soulfish Posts: 68
    Have you packed your egg that full with pork before? I often wonder what all that grease does to the flavor of the meat. Seems like you couldn't avoid having grease dripping all over the lump, and smoldering. Just seems as though there would be a bad taste. I try to catch it all in a drip pan when doing one pork shoulder. Not being a critic, just wonder what the answer or solution is.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Looks great, Eddie.

I am looking forward to the pictures.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    when i did a cook about that size in my large i found that the fire was alot bigger yet the the dome temps stayed low. might have something to do with how the heat flows or the therm being close to the meat, but my fire seamed to be roaring and eating lump fast. cook still took about the same timewise. hard to sleep with that much meat cooking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • You are so right. I am just getting back in from the reception. I set my cell phone alarm for every 2 hours and slept in the recliner. I am exhausted. I didn't get many after pics as they came off the Eggs at different times during the night. Total cook time was 20.5 hours. It was a big success they all turned out perfect. I ended up feeding about 200 people and have quite a but left over. There was a lot of food there. I will post some pics soon. I had large enough drip pans to catch the Grease so none got on the coals, if any did it was minimal with no effect.