Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru...Stoker Question

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Both the Guru and Stoker are great but have any of you experimantal Eggers found a way to use the Stoker fan on the Guru? I love the auto flip dampner on the Stoker fan instead of the slide adjustment of the Guru for draft control but like the small control box of the Guru Digi Q.
Thanks,
darian

Edit added:

I have used the Guru for several years and don't need instructions on it's use. Just looking for the answer to the question above.
Thank you,
darian
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I use the 4 cfm fan and don't have to mess with the damper. -RP
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Do you run wide open all the time?
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    You should only have to adjust the slide control one time for/according to the size of egg you have.
    The settings are in paper work with guru.
    Not really a big deal.
    jon
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I understand how the Guru works.
    Just asking a question.
    Thanks,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    FWIW, I use the 10CFM blower on a small Egg wide open when I am running the charcoal tests at 400 deg. I used it at about 50% on a large Egg to do a butt at 215 degrees.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you,
    I have used a Guru for several years and I also have a Stoker. Just wanted to know if any one had info on switching fans. I'm having no problems using the Guru or Stoker, just curiosity. I know you have both as well. Have you ever tried switching fans?
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Yes wide open, if your daisy is choked down to just barely open you should be able to run any of them wide open. It is the amount of air moving through the Egg when the fan is not running that is of concern. If there isn't enough opening for air to escape, it wont enter. The fan however will force the air in and push it out any place possible, in my case the missing gasket area. Hey, great meeting you last weekend. -RP
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    We had a blast as well. You and your wife are great.
    We made so many new friends.

The only thing I don't like about the Guru is having to close down the top. On things like wings I like to keep the daisy open more to vent the moist air.
    The auto close dampner on the Stoker is just a nice feature and since I have both already I was just posting to see if any one had ever made the switch. Just curious.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Interesting idea.

Two considerations. Physical connection and the electrical capability.

As I recall both fans are simple 'on/off' control.

It would probably be smart to check the output voltage of both units which are most likely the same. Amperage draw might be a consideration but again probably very close to the same.

If the above is correct then a simple electrical adapter needs to be made.

The stoker design mostly stops the free air flow, however, closing the Viper down to 1/3 or less seems to alleviate the free air flow enough to prevent overshooting the desired pit temperature.

It might be nice to have either the Viper or the Stoker fan available as a potential backup for the other unit. It also might save some money using the q2 fan with the stoker when controlling a second egg.

GG
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    All good points and info.
    I will try to make voltage checks this weekend and or find adapters and test. I just thought with all the users on this forum (lazy me) figured it had been tried before. Some of the members on this forum have made some very unique discoveries in the past.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    In the past I had thought it would be nice if the q2 fan had the 'flapper' but until your post I didn't think about switching fans on the units.

GG
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I was trying to thinking of an easy was to put a flapper on my Q2 fan but thought it might be better to make my Stoker work with my Q2. But now that you mention the other I might be able to run another Egg with my Stoker using my Q2 fan.
    Keep em coming...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    First of all, they are "blowers", not fans. Rock was very specific in correcting me, LOL! But no I have not tried to swap them. Sorry!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    I can't speak for the Stoker but the Guru blower is 12VDC. We use a 2.5mm X 5.5mm X 9.5mm plug that is center positive.

I hope this helps with your project.

Hatch
    Kenny Baker
    Operations Mgr. The BBQ Guru
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Yes it will help very much.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian