Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: All you Egghead / Sourdough Breadheads.

Options
Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
Mr. & Mrs Potatohead Posts: 2,037
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back I was reading a thread about sourdough bread being baked on the Egg. I am either WAY computer or forum illiterate, because I can’t find a thread or a recipe anywhere :( ! Pizza, yes…Bread, no!!
Anyway, my story is this: I now have a sour dough starter going on the kitchen counter and would love to give baking a nice sourdough bread a go-round!
Any help with a recipe for the “best bread you’ve ever had” would be absolutely wonderful.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Can't help with the bread. Just wondering what part of the state you guys are in. I remember north central. What towns are you near? Have you been to the Fest in Little Canada before or will you be going this year? It would be cool to meet you and No-Yolks. I may actually meet the Yolks folks in a couple weeks when we head NW for the fishing opener.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have a 2006 6 part article done by Old Dave tnat I will send you. TTOOO long for the forum. Drop me an email. Can not do it thru the forum email
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I can't offer a "best bread" recipe, because I Haven't made one yet. Am a novice. However, there are 2 sites you might like to check out.

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

for all about sourdough, and

http://www.sourdo.com/

(where I got my starters) for some recipes and pointers.

Here's what little I know. Proofing your mix at higher temperatures (85 + degrees) or lower (50 or less) favors the lacto bacilli, and you get a sourer flavor. Room temperature (65 - 75) favors the yeast, and produces a more complex "sweeter" flavor. The basic method recommended by the fellow at www.sourdo.com
    is to begin with cold starter from the fridge, mix with flour in volume as per specific recipe, then proof in a warm box, at least 85 degrees to maybe even 95, for 12 hours. Then add a second batch of flour, and let proof at room temperature for 8.

I made 2 loaves this weekend. The flavor was far and away the best so far, but the crust was as hard as a rock. Too little steam during the cook, I guess, and maybe too much kneading.

Good Luck!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I have abandoned kneading... now use hi-hydration mix, followed by 4 stretch-and-folds with an hour.

Then to the fridge for up to four days...

As needed, stretch and fold [rather than punch down]...

On bake day, remove from the fridge three hours before baking, create loaves, mist with oil and cover with plastic wrap for up to 2 hours.

Remove plastic wrap and let the "skin" set up a bit for half an hour to 45 minutes.

Score, and rest another 15 minutes, then...

...transfer to oven/Egg.

Although I have done LOTS of baking in the Egg, I now use La Cloche [have 2 of 'em] and the kitchen oven. I'll bake in the Egg to show off for guests, occasionally.

To steam in the Egg -- Platesetter legs up, with a foil tray in place. Stabilize Egg @ 400F.

Just as you're putting the bread in, add boiling water to the tray.

The steam will help the crust get MORE crispy... maybe even too hard for most people.

Try brushing the bread with melted butter immediately upon removing from the oven... really softens the crust and adds lots of flavor.

~ Broc
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    Goode style jalapeno cheese bread. I did it to a tee I made 2 batches. I used 1 with milk and 1 with the buttermilk. I liked 2% milk the best. Enjoy.

1 packet of yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
    1/4 cup of warm water
    4 tablespoons of melted butter
    1 egg
    2 1/2 cups of bread flour (I used King Arthur) plus more if needed
    1 cup of semolina flour
    5 jalapenos, stemmed and seeded, diced (should be about a cup)
    2 cups of Longhorn (or any other cheddar such as Colby) cheese, grated.
    1 cup of buttermilk
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1 teaspoon of salt (can add more to taste)

Method:
    1. Mix together the yeast and water.
    2. Mix together the melted butter, egg and buttermilk and add to yeast and water.
    3. Add the salt, sugar and bread flour to the liquids and mix well. Then add the semolina flour to the dough and mix well. If the dough is too wet, gradually add more bread flour 1/4 cup at a time.
    4. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for five to ten minutes until dough is smooth.
    5. Form dough into a ball and place into a bowl greased with butter.
    6. Cover the bowl, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size—about an hour.
    7. Turn out dough on a floured surface, and slowly knead into the dough the jalapenos and cheese, a little bit at a time.
    8. When cheese and jalapenos are incorporated into the dough, place dough into a greased bread loaf pan (8-1/2" x 4-1/2" x 2-3/4). You can also sprinkle semolina in the bread pan for additional friction.
    9. Cover the pan and let dough rise until doubled in size (it should be at the top or a bit over the top of the pan)—about an hour.
    10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    11. Bake bread for 40-45 minutes on a center rack (when you thump the top and it sounds hollow, the bread is done).
    12. Let cool for ten minutes, and then slide it out of the pan, slice and enjoy!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Adam...
    I'm in Grand Rapids.
    I do hope to get down to one of the get togethers this summer...
    We'll see how schedules are!
    Spuds
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Richard, yoy have an email..
    And thanks for your input. I'll keep you posted.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    appears to have gotten lost. Please send again.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Sure do miss Old Dave postings and knowledge. I understand he didn't like the new forum concept, wish the heck he would give it another try.

I may also email you for his article.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Hey...
    Thanks to all for your input!
    I've got bread raising RIGHT NOW! I'll let you know how it fairs!