Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ in the rain?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking seriously about buying a DigiQ, mostly so I can do other things inside while the Egg is coming up to temperature and stabilizing. But three weeks of rain or threats of rain have me wondering how I would keep all of the electrical stuff functioning in the rain. What do folks do?

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Most people either wrap the unit in a plastic bag or better yet they mount in inside some Tupperware.

The fan is more problematic as is not possible due to the airflow and the heat from the egg. I have the egg covered with an umbrella and hope for the best .

If the fan is damaged it is alot cheaper to replace than the actual unit. ;)
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2301.jpg
    Doug,
    I put Zip Locks on the vital parts

Ross
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I put my control in a quart zip lock and zip it as much as I can with the wires sticking out the bottom. I mounted the bracket that came with the unit on the side table, so the unit wires hand down, so the rain drips off the unit. I also tilt the fan at a 45 degree so the rain falls slides off the side of the unit. (I guess the fan works the same if it is straight or on a tilt, I see no difference.) So far, no failure. :)
    Bob
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I put the control unit inside the mini and shut the lid.

I keep the power connection covered.

I don't worry about the fan. It has been very wet and has never had a problem.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Ross,

Yeah, I guess one day a year one can use Ziplocks. :laugh:

Regards from the Far North,
    Rich
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There have been some nice pictures of tupperware boxes made.

I use a bread bag or ziplock bag with a rubber band or a twist tie. I make sure the wires hang in a 'U' shape so any dripping will fall on the ground and not lead into any connection. For the fan, so far if I feel needed I use a aluminum foil cover. Winter time, I don't worry about the snow on the fan. No problems so far.

GG
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    The fan is virtually impervious to the rain. I just keep it flat and 99% of the rain just rolls right off.

Kenny