Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Nights Dinner

JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/dinner1.jpg">[p]<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/dinner2.jpg">[p]Beer butt chicken rubbed with garlic and Montreal Poultry Seasoning and sesame grilled asparagus for dinner last night. Life is good!![p]Jim

Comments

• JSlot,[p]Tell me about those asparagus. I just bought some fresh asparagus yesterday, but have never tried them on the egg. Do you steam them first? I see the skewers. Put them on for the last 10 minutes of the bird??
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    JSlot,
    Thats a good looking meal Jim.Kroger had chicken leg quaters on sale 10 lbs. for $1.90.I bought 40 lbs.
    Larry

• asparagus1.jpg
    <p />RG:[p]I just brush them with some olive oil, season a Cajun rub, and grill. Asparagus is quite tasty raw. I tend to like mine on the crunchy side and cook it at about 325º for a few minutes. If you like, leave them on longer if you prefer them cooked more. Because of the moisture produced from burning charcoal and the moisture content of the vegetable the asparagus is grill/steamed. Evenly cooked with nice flavor.[p]I have the only asparagus bed in Brookhaven and it is a real pleasure to go out to the garden and pick my own. Much tastier than asparagus from the grocery store.
  • djm5x0,
    I see those there asparagus and I'm wondering if..............that famous tomato pie that is shared so often here would like to be accomponied with some asparagus and maybe a handful of shrimp to really make it a meal.
    What you guys think?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Wil:[p]I think it would be an excellent combination. I have a list of "Food To Do's" a mile long so I am certain someone else will get to it before me, but your suggestion is duly noted. YB's pie is a good starting point for much creativity.
    [/b]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Chicken!.jpg
    <p />Wil,
    I think you are making good sense here. That does sound like it would be good in the 'mater pie. Even a little chicken, or leftover oulled pork would be good substitutes for the shrimp. [p]Our asparagus bed is a bit over a year old now...so in another year or two we'll be pickin' or own like Darryl![p]Been busy here in Farifax, but cooking outside daily. Here's some recent chicken. Having fun with me new camera![p]Cheers to you
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Nature Boy,[p]Hey Chris:[p]Has this camera been marinated lately?[p] Dave

• Nature Boy
    WingsBreaded.jpg
    <p />Dave,
    hehe. Naw. Strap goes arond the wrist! The marinade smell is pretty much gone. The lens cap/shutter still sticks and does not open all the way, so I wedged some toothpick slivers in there to hold it open! Otherwise seems to work fine! I am having fun taking pictures of anything and everything! heeee.[p]Oh look. It's beer o'clock!
    Cheers
    Chris
    WingsOnGrill.jpg

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JSlot
    RG,[p]I use Steve Raichlen's recipe for the sesame grilled asparagus out of the "How To Grill" cookbook. I just skewer the asparagus together to make the rafts and lay them in the glass baking dish to marinate. The marinade is sesame oil, soy sauce, kosher salt, and coarse black pepper. I put the asparagus on the Egg (350° direct) while the chicken rested. I sprinkled with sesame seeds after turning the rafts over. We like our veggies a little crunchy, so this only took about 8-9 minutes.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Yes, we get 'em at that price to about once a month, Larry. Makes for some mighty fine eatin' and doesn't break the bank![p]Jim
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm giving that a 9+ on appearance, but I'm gonna have come down there to give out my marks and taste and tenderness.[p]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Nature Boy,
    Chris. Maybe a little WD-40 on a toothpick will make the camera work better. Just a thought

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Nature Boy,
    Re: "The lens cap/shutter still sticks and does not open all the way, so I wedged some toothpick slivers in there to hold it open!"[p]As the owner of thousands of dollars of photographic equipment, I'd just like to say "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"[p]Thank you.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm pretty confident that if you were ever to find a permanent fix to the lens cap/shutter sticking issue, duct tape would play an integral role.[p]Cajun Creole spicy peanuts to you (my current addiction),
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Chris:[p]With regard to your asparagus bed, they are voracious feeders. Fertilize more frequently than you would other vegetables, keep the bed free of weeds, and water them if nature does not. Trim the ferns when they die and mulch with your leaves (even better if you chop them with your mower first) in the late fall.[p]It is a pain in the arse, but will produce you a bountiful delight in the spring for your efforts.
  • djm5x9
    Cornfed:[p]Hey, have you tried the lime peanuts? I was doing a work related road-trip a couple of monts ago and ran across them in a rural part of Georgia that has a heavy Hispanic population. I got five miles down the road, liked them so much that I went back and purchased their entire stock. I am out now, and cannot find them anymore!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    djm5x9,[p]Haven't tried them, but they sound interesting. Now I'll have to see if they are available near me...[p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Nature Boy,[p]Chris:[p]Please tell me the recipe for those great looking wings.
    Dave

• Nature Boy
    Dave,
    Look in the main recipe section...under chicken. Chef RDs Hot Wings is pretty much the recipe. Though instead of the salt/pepper/seasonings I use about 1/4 cup of Swamp Venom rub. The key is to flip them very carefully to keep the breaded coating from falling apart. I use my fingers...or real gentle tongwork. [p]Wings don't get much better!
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    Thank you! I always kill stuff when I fertilize it. I have some 10-10-10. How to apply?[p]I look forward to when it produces for me! And 30 years of asparagus!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    Nature Boy:[p]10-10-10 or 8-8-8 are fine. I go by sight, but if I had to quantify how much I apply, I would say about 1/8 of a cup per mature crown every three weeks. Adjust depending on how much rain you have.
    [/b]
  • Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    Thanks. That sounds like even more than I have used to kill other stuff. Do you work it into the top inch or two of soil? How far from the plant? Fertilizer sceeers me! Maybe that is why my garden is never great.[p]Cheers....and thanks!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com