Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New. Need Help. Wanted to know

Options
Recman
Recman Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
if problems with dome thermometers are common? Bought a new XL two weeks ago. Finally fired it up last night. To my dismay temperature didn't rise above 100 for 1st 30 minutes. Finally got it as high as 375, never above, after lightly tapping on thermometer. Very disappointed and thankful I didn't have a patio full of people for this 1st run. Are problems like this rare with new eggs?

Comments

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Tell us more about your setup. What kind of charcoal did you use, how much did you use and how did you light it?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Did you soak your lump in water? :laugh:

Explain your setup, method of lighting and post-lighting procedure.
  • Recman
    Options
    Used some Royal Oak I had from old grills. Topped with Green Egg charcol. Used new electric started buried in charcol for six minutes. Wide open vents like starter box suggested.
  • Recman
    Options
    Did not soak charcol. Electric starter, closed dome and opened her up for heat to rise.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    First your egg has to be setup right...

The base of the firebox has a cutout and than needs to be facing the bottom vent. Second..when loading lump...make sure you don't block up all the firebox grate holes...you use lump and only lump..

If you are using briquettes "don't"

Make sure you use enough lump!!!!...for the first burn fill that baby up!

your temp will rise slowly at first but will ramp up pretty quickly.
  • Recman
    Options
    I will pull the other charcol and start over with Big Green Egg only. Thanks for your help
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Lump burns pure!!!...It is pretty much just Carbon..

briquettes have a bunch of fillers...and just use charcoal dust..

also checkout your setup..that bottom vent and firebox have to be setup correctly
  • Recman
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate the quick and helpful responses. You guys are great!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You may also want to try another method for starting the fire. The electric units work great for briquets but the method isn't always the best way to do it with lump. I use a torch, many use twisted paper towels with a bit of veggie oil or cotton balls with a bit of rubbing alcahol. With the Egg you don't usually want all the coals going at once. For slow and low I light it in 1 spot for the rest I usually light in 3 spots.

Stick around here and you'll be a wiz before ya know it.
  • Recman
    Options
    Thanks for your help. Trying with electric starter again. 350 at 25 minutes.