Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie needs gasket help!

Options
Eggercat
Eggercat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry to bother you with another gasket thread but after searching for the last hour, I figure it's time to ask the experts.
I just purchased a LBGE last Saturday. While assembling it, I noticed there was a small gap (1/16") in the gasket where the two ends meet. The top and bottom were identical.
Since it was new, I assumed :laugh: that was normal. Now after using it 4 times in 6 days, the gap (top and bottom) has grown to about 3/8".
Is this something I should be concerned about?
BTW
The gaps are offset by a few inches and both are closer to the back than the front.
When cooking last night, I did notice some smoke coming out the back. I'm not sure if it was coming out of the gap. I'll check tonight while doing pizzas :P

Any help would be appreciated (before I go back to my dealer)

Thanks
Rick

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    Did your Egg come with an EXTRA gasket in the box?

Some of our stock from BGE this year a few had a KNOWN adhesive issue and BGE put pare gaskets in the boxes. So that when the customer fired it up for the 1st cook out the gasket was ruined and you had to replace it.

How did I find this out? The hard way my new Large egg I purchased first burn gasket came off. Mine also had a gap in the back but larger than yours before the first burn. I dont know if they caught all eggs with issues but if its a BAD one the gasket will come off totaly.

The new one solved that problem for me... I have 4 more eggs in the boxes yet and I hope none of them have the EXTRA gasket included. Been telling my customers that if it does let me know and ill come over and replace it and help them put it together.....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Great Service and thank you!

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The following is with old non failing felt gaskets.

My large, small and mini had NO gaps.

My original medium had no side to side gap but had a vertical gap at about 2 o'clock. That air leak resulted in a burn hole about the size of a pencil after a few cooks and then finally a failed gasket (not adhesive).

A long story short - my base & dome had to be replaced. The new base came in with a gap as you detailed above.

From my previous experience I decided to patch the gap. After the patch the existing gasket seemed to shrink a little and I put in a second patch. For now it seems there is no more contraction of the gasket.

Not knowing better, I would think the gap should not be there and is a potential spot for problems. Either whoever is putting on the gasket just doesn't care, or they are stretching the gasket when installing or the gap is intended.

Unless someone who knows says otherwise, I would get some extra gasket material and patch those gaps. While you are at it put some gasket material on the ceramic dome to shut down the egg more quickly.

gasket4.jpg

GG
  • Eggercat
    Options
    No, there wasn't another gasket included.
    I'm just in the midst of firing it up now for pizza. I'll keep an eye on the gap during the warm up. I'm just concerned about the high (+600) heat doing any damage to the egg.
    I'll keep you posted.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Thats how my dealer is, any problems and he comes to your house to fix at no charge. You can't put a price on great service. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There won't be any damage to the egg.

The egg ceramic somewhat protects the gasket from heat. Extremely hot air passing through the gasket can be a problem and lead to failure. Hence the problem with gaps.

If the gasket goes, it goes. Other than a pain in the rear replacing the gasket isn't a big problem.

Get BGE to send you a Nomex Gasket and get that installed.

I have had an older style felt gasket on my large egg for 2 years and have done hundreds if not thousands of cooks without problems. I did burn out the gasket on my egg, first cook - 1,000° Trex steak. My fault and the steak was fantastic.

GG
  • Eggercat
    Options
    Thanks Gramps
    I'd hate to have to explain to you know who that our $$$ BGE is fried.
    here is the gap photo ( I hope this works)

th_Gap.jpg
  • Eggercat
    Options
    Sorry about that...
    I had to get my daugther to fix this!
    The gap really looked huge in full screen :whistle:
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I agree Pat. I am likewise lucky here in League City. My dealer has come to my house twice to replace gaskets. Would not even accept a tip.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Eggercat
    Options
    While you are at it put some gasket material on the ceramic dome to shut down the egg more quickly.
    That's a great idea...
    I'll go pick up a roll of gasket tomorrow.
    BTW
    The pizza was absolutely awesome
    th_pizza1.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Finely a moderate day.

Just got back in from getting the large going and putting some slow smoked chicken on - it's looking real good.

For me, that gap is way too big and I would (and did) patch mine. I am not sure why but there are a lot of people reporting the same thing. BGE should have someone watch QC a little closer, unless they are not aware the gasket/adhesive is shrinking. Giving the benefit of the doubt - unless the gap is intentional.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Eggercat, that pizza looks great. Resize those pictures to 500 - 600 pix wide (or tall). Would sure like to take a better look at that pie.

Also, let us know how you did the crust, egg set up, temps & time. Sure doesn't look like a newbie cook to me.

GG
  • Eggercat
    Options
    Eggercat, that pizza looks great. Resize those pictures to 500 - 600 pix wide (or tall). Would sure like to take a better look at that pie.

Also, let us know how you did the crust, egg set up, temps & time. Sure doesn't look like a newbie cook to me.

Stop, you're making me blush :laugh:
    The pic is in thumbnail format, just double click the picture for a larger view.
    The setup consisted of:
    Basques sugar maple lump
    http://www.basquescharcoal.com/bbq_products.htm
    plate setter, feet up, then grill. I placed two (1"x4"x9") firebricks on the grill to raise the pizza stone up over the lower bowl height (to get the high heat pizza stone away from the gasket and for easier access with the peel)
    Temp set @ 500 - 525
    Crust is store bought 'Authentic Italian Pizza Dough'
    We bought two 26 ounce bags, which made four 10" x 14" pies. The pizza stone was 12" x 15"
    Pizza fully prep'ed on parchment paper, placed on hot stone with peel...parchment paper removed after 7 minutes.
    th_pizza2.jpg
    Total cooking time was 14 minutes

This is the table I built last week (even before I bought the egg!!!)
    th_eggtable.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I am getting Photobucket errors when I click on the thumbnail.

Not sure if it is my computer or photobucket...

All looks good thought. The table looks great also.

GG
  • Eggercat
    Options
    should be ok now
    still learning the way of the egg!
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I like the sound of that set up...with the fire bricks on the grill.

I was able to click on thumb nails and get large pics at photobucket.

Nice table!

Michael
  • Eggercat
    Options
    Thanks Michael
    I don't know if you followed this whole thread or not, but I had this fear of my gasket disintegrating if I didn't raise it up enough. There is another way of doing the same thing, without the risk of scratching the grill with the firebrick:
    Place the plate setter feet down, then 3 bricks (triangulated), then the grill with pizza stone directly on top of it. I was planning on this set up, but the builder supply store was closed, I had to steal the 2 firebricks from my table (the front 2 in the pic are now missing :)
  • egguitarist
    Options
    Would that be from chim chimne? That's where I bought mine. Great folks
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    Another noob here with a similar problem... My top gasket fell off last night, only the 4th time I used it. Then today as I went to fire it up to slow smoke some ribs, I noticed the bottom gasket if slipping off on one side. Will the BGE folks replace these under warranty? Should I contact them direct, or go though my local vendor? Should I specifically request a gasket material other than the felt? Thanks for the help!
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    you have bad GLUE on it from the factory, your dealer should be nice enuf to give you a new gasket and just follow the directions.

I know you pain
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    ClintonAceHardware wrote:
    you have bad GLUE on it from the factory, your dealer should be nice enuf to give you a new gasket and just follow the directions.

I know you pain

Thanks, I'll give them a shout on Monday. I did shoot a quick e-mail to BGE Customer Service explaining the problem and asking for some help, we'll see what kind of response I get. In the mean time, will it hurt anything to use the egg with just the bottom gasket? I have some ribs on a lo n slow cooking at 300?
  • Eggercat
    Options
    For me, that gap is way too big and I would (and did) patch mine. I am not sure why but there are a lot of people reporting the same thing. BGE should have someone watch QC a little closer, unless they are not aware the gasket/adhesive is shrinking. Giving the benefit of the doubt - unless the gap is intentional.
    Just a follow up:
    I went out this afternoon to prep the egg for Beer Can Chicken...When I opened the lid I was kind of shocked to see what was left of my gasket. The lower one was nice and crispy (chicken skin = good...gasket felt = bad)
    It was only attached in 2 or 3 places, the rest was flapping in the breeze. The upper gasket was still attached (mostly) but it was no longer going around the edge..it sort of took a short cut every 6" or so.
    I've removed both top and bottom gaskets, loosened the top band, pressed the dome down tight and am getting ready to fire it up.

I know I've read numerous posts about not needing / using a gasket.
    Anyone see any problem with this?
    I've got 5 hungry people on stand by.
  • Eggercat
    Options
    I removed the work "Gasket" to avoid the fallout from you members who hate that word!

Just to update you on my () situation.
    My dealer gave me a new felt ().
    I wasn't overly thrilled, especially when they claimed they had never heard of a "Nomex ()".
    I did the new install of the the felt () using 3mM Super 77.
    After letting the () cure for 24 hrs.
    I'm now doing a low & slow @ 275 to set the ().
    I'll keep you posted.
    BTW
    For those who have replaced their felt () using 3M super 77...
    Did your ()seem to move around a bit?
    It seems very secure, yet somewhat flexible?

Only 20 minutes left on the roast :woohoo:
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Options
    Eggheads,

I just fired my LBGE for the first time and got the temp very hot and burned my seal. I just replaced it yesterday and I am getting itchy to start cooking again. I am wondering if pizza would be safe to cook with only 24 hrs of set time. I used the 3M Super 77 and the thicker white replacement seal. If anybody thinks I should marinate a little longer before going with pizza, let me know.
  • Eggercat
    Options
    I would wait a bit!
    Also, if using a pizza stone, try to raise it up above the gasket level. I used 3 firebricks on the platesetter.
    The intense heat "seems" to fry those gaskets if your pizza stone is too close to the edge.
    (Do a search on "Pizza" and "Gasket"...there are mixed feeling about this)
    BTW
    I fried mine even with the raised stone. :whistle:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Some may dissagree with me but I use the plate setter legs up simply to keep the direct heat away from the gasket when possible.
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Options
    I thought about trying the legs up approach. This will be my 2nd meal on the BGE and I really want to try the pizza but from the advice of you guys I may just hold off for a few burns. The new seal seems pretty durable but the last thing I want is to waste another day waiting for the adhesive to set in. By dinner time I should have a plan in place. Thanks again.
  • Eggercat
    Options
    Some may dissagree with me but I use the plate setter legs up simply to keep the direct heat away from the gasket when possible.
    Panhandle, that's what I did (see my pizza on the previous page) Then I set the grill on the legs...this brought me back up to the gasket. Then I set the 1" firebricks directly on the grill and the pizza stone on top. So the pizza stone was above the gasket.
    Now, I'm not sure if you read this whole thread or not, but the next day my gasket fell off. And I never had that stone over 550.
    After doing Trex steaks on Saturday, my gasket is just about toasted again. (Felt gasket put on with Super 77)