Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt roast need help

Options
maddaug
maddaug Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help with 2 pork butts 3.5lbs roasts. What temp and how long for 3.5lbs? I have about 6 hours before guests arrive. Looked on forum and couldnn't find good answer so asking the experts. Thanks!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    maddaug,[p]I'm doing the same thing tonight. I just covered the butts with CHEEP mustard and a rub. They will stay in the refrigerator until 15 minutes before cook time (about 10pm tonight). They will smoke/cook at about 225 degrees (with an internal thermometer in each until they reach 195-200 degrees. I expect to sleep well and have some great Q by 6-7 in the morning. As with any overnight cook (if you do that) make sure you fill up the firebox all the way. You don't want to run out of lump![p]Smokey

• maddaug
    Options
    Smokey,
    Thanks for the info. I did notice when scrolling my question was asked earlier. Why do you cook to 200 when
    pork is considered done at 170?

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    maddaug,
    Between 170 and 200 the collagen breaks down giving you extremely tender and juicy meat froma cut that is traditionally neither. You could pull at 180 or so if you want sliced or chopped pork, but if you want it pulled, go to 195-200.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    maddaug, if you've only got 6 hours (5 now) I would bump that temp up to about 240. Normally you would want to let the rest before pulling for about an hour before eating. I would suggest checking the meat about an hour befor the guest get there. If close to 200 then take it off, let it rest for 30 minutes and then pull. If it is above 170 but less than 185, you may want to consider taking it off, letting it rest for 30 minutes and then slicing. If it is below 170, fix a round of drinks and wait. 3 1/2 lbs is pretty small so you ought to be OK. Good luck.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mad daug, that should be "let the meat rest for at least an hour"

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    maddaug,[p]bigmikej is right. I like to pull the pork, mike with bbq sause and serve on white roles (for small sandwiches). GOOD STUFF.
    you can slice it or chop it, but it's not as tender and seems to have more fat in it. The fat seems to melt as it gets above 170 degrees.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    maddaug,
    It will be interesting to see how these turn out. I just did a 3.5 and a 5 together last weekend. The 3.5 was done about an hour ahead of the 5 pounder. The cook took me 18 hours at 225 (dome) to an internal of 200. [p]Night and day difference in the meat when you go to 200 vs 180. It falls apart at 200, in fact it can be a challenge to get it off the grill.[p]Let us know how it went. [p]Good luck![p]Mike in MN

• maddaug
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Well it's 1:30 and our temp is 155. Piggy went on the grill at 9:45. Temps been holding steady at 225 or so. It looks like we'll have plenty of time to reach 200 degrees. ABT's will go on the grill while our piggy rests. Thanks for all the help.

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Wise One,
    I agree. The butt will hit a plateau at about 170 or so. I would kick it up to 260 or so, if it hits 190, shut the vents down to only a crack and let it rise to 200. You need that hour rest before pulling. Cover with foil if outside gets too black for you. Good luck!

• maddaug
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    Thanks for info. I will bump temp up now. This is family so if they wait to eat 1/2 hour or so whats the worst that can happpen? The worst that can happen for them would be no more green egg cook-outs!