Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking time for 2 butts....

Options
TF1
TF1 Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
going to do twin butt cook and need to know "roughly" how much time I need to give myself.....figuring on each butt weighing 8lbs. Help!

Comments

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    TF1,[p]You can figure on roughly 2 hrs per pound at 230º. This time will vary depending on the temp you use (butts are forgiving, so 250,260 could work) and (most importantly) the individual cut of meat you have.[p]I always plan on 2hrs per pound and shoot to be done at least 90 minutes before I know I want to serve. If it's done early (I take them to 198-205º internal), then wrap in foil and stick in a dry cooler with some towels for extra insulation. It will hold this way for hours. If it's late, then you have a spare 90 minutes to use up (if it's really late, break out the blender and make maragaritas!!)[p]HTH,
    Rich G.

• TF1
    TF1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Rich G,
    so 2x 7lbs each= 14hrs
    or 2x 14lbs total= 28hrs?

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    TF1,[p]Treat them as separate pieces. 7lbs each should be in the neighborhood of 14 hours depending on your temp. I can't stress enough that the finishing temp of the meat (and therefore the time to get there) is ONLY a guideline. The best way to know if it's done is by feel. If you want to pull it, you want it to get to that stage where it jiggles and wants to fall apart easily, which is usually in the range of 195-205º for me. If you want to slice it, then you will want it to be much firmer, likely in the range of 180º or so (someone chime in here, I've never sliced one, pulled is just too good....and less work.)[p]HTH,
    Rich G.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    TF1,[p]Two butts take very little extra time than if you did one. I figure more like 2.5 hr/pound so I would expect maybe 18 hrs total.[p]Tim