Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Qualities of a "Great" Meatloaf.

Options
Zip
Zip Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those who like meatloaf, what makes it a great one? Is it a ingredient, the cooking method like in a pan or freeform, crusty or no crust, coarse ground meat or fine, bacon wrapped, ect...... [p]I've looked at quite a few recipes in the archives as well as in the recipes sections. There are numerous to choose from with many different ingredients and cooking styles. The one I've been using for sometime is from the American Home Cooking cookbook by Bill and Cheryl Jamison and one from "The Best Recipe" from Cooks Illustrated. I pretty much grind my own meat and use a 2 to 1 mix of beef(chuck with plate or skirt) to pork(shoulder). The recent post about grinding bacon in with the meat sounds promising and will be trying that. [p]If you have a recipe I would appreciate it, but if you could say what makes this recipe great. Partially bacon wrapped and or crusty is good to me, but not greasy so freeform seems to work best. [p]Considering this does anyone have any direction on this topic? The one that Nikkig&Boccie posted with the salsa and SpiceCooks with the salsa and corn chips looks good so far. Planning on making one on Sunday.[p]Thanks in advance!
Ashley

Comments

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Zip,
    You are right. There are many great recipes for meatloaf and I think meatloaf cooked on the egg is far superior vs. cooking it in an oven. [p]I like to use Jack Daniels wood chips for smoke when doing meatloaf and I use one of those wire mesh pans for the meatloaf so smoke can penetrate on all sides. Works great.[p]Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    Zip,
    Here is one I do and I think its oretty
    good.. .. These are mini Meatloaves [p]1 1/4 pound lean ground beef
    1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar
    1 lg. egg
    1/4 chopped onion
    1/4 chopped red bellpepper
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2t instant beef bullion (cant spell this word)
    1t salt
    7 slices bacon ( 4 to cover mini loaves, and 3 to grind or chop and add to beef..[p]Mix it all and form into four mini loaves.. Kinda football shape.. Slice each piece of bacon in half and criss cross them over each loaf.. I cook them in the pit at around 275-300° for about a hour and ten minutes.. During the last 30 minutes I lightly brush them with a barbecue sauce every ten minutes..[p]Ive also done them with no sauce..[p]Ive cooked these in my big pit, so these times are using that.. My egg seems to cook faster than the offset so you just need to check for doneness..[p]
    I think these are really good, .. Ive never really met a Meatloaf I didnt like but.. I dont care as much for a meatloaf that is been worked with and packed tightly.. Or a greasy one or a dry one..[p] And sometimes they can have too much inside them as far as ingerdiants and even too many spices and herbs going on.. I like them kinda simple with good beef..[p]
    Dylan

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Dylan:[p]Thanks for the recipe post . . .[p]By the way . . . You know of a good bean pie recipe? (smilie thingie)
    [/b]