Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon help

johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saw this from one of the sites posted yesterday in the "egg newbie thread" Good stuff in that post thanks
http://houseoffaulkner.com/salmon.html

Going ot make that tonight for 5 ppl, but I have no dusty river bbq rubs, anyone got hints on a rub that would go well for this?
I don't typically do seafood, so I'm at a little loss with making something up.

Thanks!

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    A little oil and Kosher or Sea Salt is all you really need for Salmon. I normally get a fairly hot fire going and cook direct skin side down for 5-6 mins. Flip and the skin should come right off go another 5-6 mins until Salmon flakes when you stick a fork in an give a little twist. Be careful not to over cook, it will continue cooking for a minute or so after you pull it.

Cast iron grill makes nice Marks on the non skin side.

Good luck
    SalmonBeets.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC05463JPGpjpgp5.jpg

You can actually go as simple as you want. I like a pepper blend, or garlic pepper (if you go this route, don't add extra salt....most garlic peppers have salt in them). I have a coarse mix of Montreal steak seasoning that I grind a little finer, that is good too. A garnish of lemon, or fresh dill sprigs or herbs works also. If it does not have the skin on one side, make a little foil boat to keep some of the moisture in. If you want some sweet, a few pinches of maple sugar or brown sugar will do the trick. Since you don't have to turn the fillet, nothing is going to fall off.

Cook until the internal is around 130°. You don't want it to flake, that will be too done.

DSC01532a.jpg

DSC05436JPGbb.jpg

DSC05165b.jpg

DSC04545a.jpg

DSC03870a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Do you catch all your own Salmon? Thirdeye
  • johann
    Ok going to cover grate with lemon, bake it on top of that at 350 to 130, and use garlic powder, it wsa 3.5lbs with the skin on and i had them take that off as the wife doesn't like it.

we'll see how it goes. not sure how many people now as the wife keeps inviting em.
  • thirdeye
    Oh heck no, but we have two markets with nice fish counters. Now, I do fish for trout whenever I get the chance.....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Without the skin that bed of lemons will help a bunch when it comes to keeping it moist. Make sure and post some pictures.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• johann
    I had the camera out there ready and the battery died!
    Oh well, super tasty, everyone loved it.

thanks for the hints tips and tricks