Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to buy a BGE in Australia - I'm worried

Options
The Egg from Oz
The Egg from Oz Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greeting from Down Under.

I am just about to purchase my first Big Green Egg. Although expensive - I was convinced by all the positive things I have read about them (and lucky for me - managed to convince my better half at the same time).

I was hoping to pick it up tomorrow and once I'd done a bit of experimentation - use the Trex method for some steaks. However, I couldn't help seeing countless threads in this forum about the gasket issues that the egg seems to have suffered recently. This has made me rather nervous as the issue seems to be persisting even though it looks like it's been around for a while.

Although not clear what stock my retailer holds - does anyone know if BGE HQ have fixed the issue? Do new BGEs come with the Nomex gasket already pre-installed, or do they still roll out of the factory with the felt gasket? Has the apparent problem with the glue been fixed?

I know that the Nomex gasket doesn't sound like it is complicated to replace, but as I'm in Australia - not sure how easy it would be for me to get my hands on one. Has anyone in Australia received the Nomex gasket from BGE HQ?

I'm also nervous about buying a product that I potentailly need to repair in order for it to do what BGE HQ says it can do.

I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction as I don't want to have any doubts in relation to this purchase.

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If you have a problem BGE would make it right. Worst case sanerio cook with out one until the Nomex comes in. It is not going to hurt anything. Being where You are I think I would and splurg the 20 bucks and have a Nomex as a spare. The gasket is what I consider routine maintenance like changing the oil in your car but faster and cheaper. I have had great success with the Nomex on My large with several cooks even up to 700+ degrees with a place setter (by accident) and held up fine. I still have the original felt gasket on my XL holding up good as well. Don't sweat the little stuff, Enjoy your Egg, every one you cook for will. :laugh:
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. Many of us run on what is left of our original gaskets and do just fine (I'm going on 6 years). That having been said, in direct answer to your question, no, BGE does not offer a magic solution to the gasket problem.

It's a replaceable component. As far as I know, my dealer does not yet offer the Nomex gasket on his new BGEs or as a replacement item. I doubt you'd find it as a replacement item in Oz. Should you chose to purchase a BGE (and I hope you do, as I love our two) I would be happy to send you a replacement Nomex if/when your felt dies (not all felt gaskets die, by the way. It has to do with the fitting of the two halves of the Egg. Some are better matched, others are not, and result in fried gaskets).

Other work-arounds include glass or ceramic woven tapes used in sealing wood burning stoves.

The adhesive I've found most useful is a high temp silicone sold as a gasket forming material for automobile engines. You surely could find equivalents in Oz.

BTW, your chosen handle is quite close to another Australian Egg owner, 'An Egg Downunder'. His name is Peter Lee and he has a BBQ website you might find useful.

http://www.bbqblue.com.au

Peter is a great guy and would surely be a good resource for you regarding owning an Egg in Oz. He lives in Brisbane. Shoot him an email (email addy is on his site).

The Egg does have it's faults, but it produces the most incredible food. I doubt you will regret your purchase. It certainly beats snags and chops on a gas fired steel plate.

I lived in Adelaide for 5 years. Where are you?

Cheers,

DobieDad
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    No worries Mate ;) Just stock up on 100% Hardwood Lump Charcoal...(no fluid) Then get to know your Egg and watch people go nuts over your food. :woohoo:

Welcome
  • The Egg from Oz
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses - they are really appreciated and have definitely set my mind at ease somewhat.

I think I'll probably still be a bit nervous - especially when I fire the BGE up for the first time. I'd expect to replace the gasket at some stage - just hoping it would be a long way off rather than a possibility in the first few attempts.

And DobieDad - I'm from Melbourne myself :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The gasket issues of late are mainly due to defective adhesive strip on the felt gasket. BGE has been replacing the bad gaskets here in the states. I am not sure how the distributors deal with the problem there. You should talk with the dealer about the known problem and what happens if it happens to your egg. Ask for a spare Nomex gasket and don't be surprised if you do loose a gasket as it 'may' happen.

Nomex and 3M Super 77 adhesive has been the most fix as of late.

Older felt gaskets have held up fairly well. However, TRexing at normal grate level for some have caused gasket problems for some of the older 'good' gaskets.

On a new gasket it is a good idea to cook at lower temperatures (below 500° dome) for a while anyway.

If you want to Trex soon, load your lump to about 2" below the top of the fire box, take out the fire ring and put the grate down onto the top of the fire box. The heat from the lump will be just as hot and your cook level will be close to the meat giving you and excellent Trex stake. You will also put much less heat stress at the gasket level.

After the sear, remove the meat, grate and put in the fire ring, then the grate make sure you are down to roasting temperatures, which you probably will be already and put on the meat for finish cooking if needed.

I purchased one of TJV's spiders and adjustable rig. I use the spider for the lower food level then move the food up to the top level for the finish when Trexing. This method requires more accessories for me, well worth the purchase. The above method will accomplish the same results without extra accessories.

Get your egg, you will be very glad once you have it.

Welcome to the forum and let us know when you get your egg.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I now have 4 eggs. My first is over 2 years old now. I lost my gasket (one of the good ones) on the first cook. I decided I wanted to Trex.

This post will or should be helpful to you.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609888&catid=1

Make sure you take a look at The Naked Whiz site. Look up and read the page on 'flash back' and in that section there will be a lot of valuable information that will get you to successful eggin in a hurry.

GG
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I would start out for the first few cooks in the lower temp (300-350) area first, or a slow cook (250) or so, this should help with the gasket coming off, I after I had burnt mine off the 3rd time I gave up replacing it and just use it as is. It works fine.
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Owning an egg downunder certainly has its challenges. You can only access spare parts etc while Barbeques Galore is still selling them.

A while back they stopped importing BGEs for a few years and did not want to know about warranties, spare parts etc. A few of us tried to arrange some spares direct from the factory but they were not really committed to helping Oz eggers.

Barbeques Galore folded in the US last year and some say it could also happen here - and soon. If that scenario comes about, we will be on our own once again.

You need to be aware that the 'lifetime' warranty is a good thing if you live in the US but it's pretty well useless on the other side of the world.

Gaskets are not a big problem. After market ones (Rutland) can be purchased via this forum and I intend to follow that route shortly. The big threat is breakage of a major component through clumsy handling.

Oh, and could you please re-consider your choice of a handle?
  • The Egg from Oz
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

I did end up purchasing an egg on the weekend. I only set it up late Sunday - so haven't had a chance to fire it up yet.

2 quick questions:

(a) I noticed when I openend the packaging that the gasket from the lid had actually come unstuck slightly. It was still sticky - so simply stuck it back. Has anyone else had this happen?

(b) When i tightened the band for the lid - I noticed that the lid is not 100% flush with the bottom dome part of the egg (it looks like the lid is very slightly smaller?). One side is flush (when using a finger to feel the inside of the egg) - whilst the other side is about 4mm inside the rim when compared to the lower dome. Do I need to realign the lid - or is this again normal?

If I do need to do a realignment - how do I loosen it since the bolt holding the band together is now bent out of shape.

Thanks again for you help!

Ps - changed my handle to avoid any confusion.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    You should be able to loosen the bolt to realign the band without breaking the bolt. Worst case scenario you may have to get another carriage bolt they are pretty common. If it is that much difference try to split the difference. I personally have seen that it appears that the top and bottom are both the same size on mine. As for the gasket, If it does not stick use some 3M Super 77 spray glue. just spray some into a paper cup and brush it on to where you need it. Let it tack up before you stick the two surfaces together. try to make your first few cooks at lower temps less than 400* Hopefully some more experience will chime in. There is a lot of post Eggfest postings and you got a little covered up. If you don't remedy the problem just make a new post with the question someone should be able to give you an answer. Enjoy your new Egg. :)
  • The Egg from Oz
    Options
    An update to the thread that I'd already started.

Don't ask me why, but we only started cooking on our egg about 2 weeks ago.

After the first cook (slow cooked ribs) - I couldn't get enough and kept on going. It is everything I expected and we absolutely love it!

Unfortunately after our 3rd cook - the top gasket started coming off the egg on one side. during the fourth cook, the entire top gasket came off and the bottom has started coming loose also.

Looks like my original fears were realise after only 4 cooks :(

I must say that I was really dissapointed. Good news is that we are getting a replacement gasket from the store we purchased from. Given that the gasket just came off from the egg - cleaning should also be relatively easy!

Given I'll be replacing the gasket anyway - where would be the best placve to get a nomex gasket from. I just want to make sure that this thing lasts.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to spending more time on these boards.