Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a table, can you store lump outside in a plastic container all year?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all those that answered my last questions, I have purchased a large BGE and will have steaks for the first meal in about an hour!
I am in the process of building a table and would like to have as much of all the things needed stored with the BGE on the table. Any problems with having the lump in a plastic storage container? Should it have a good sealing top? I am planning to have a cover over the whole thing. Does the lump absorb moisture from the rain and ruin it? A local lumber place has suggested Philippine Mahogany and they have 5/4 x 31/2 at $3.25 bdft. Any pictures of tables with built in storage ideas? I got lots of good ideas from TNW web site.
Thanks again for all the help![p]Kevin

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Kevin,
    i use rubbermaid steel drum (grey plastic) trash can, holds about 40 lbs. long term moisture absobtion? couldnt tell a difference.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    3379896%3B23232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E2323389%3A%3A7837ot1lsi
    <p />Kevin,
    I use the rubbermaid containers for both my lump and smoking wood and haven't had a bit of a problem. I doubt they are air tight. My table is outside but I have louvered doors on the front for ventilation. I keep my extra bags of lump in a shed back of the garage. One of these containers will hold enough to last me a month or more. [p]You will probably find that most Eggers will find the simplist solution is the best solution. [p]Spring (Just back from vacation) Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    bge9.jpg
    <p />Kevin, This is how I did mine. Works well year round.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    That is so nice I really have to rethink what I was going to do! Do you use a cover? I closed the vents after cooking and still about 1 hour later the BGE is 300 degrees, too hot to put the cover on? How does everyone deal with this? Just wait longer before putting on the cover?[p]Kevin

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Kevin,[p]Check out your local Home Depot or Lowes or similiar home improvement store. There you will find a Rubbermaid plastic container with a convex lid. Water will run right off of it and there is no need to worry about moisture building up within. The container costs about $12.00 and will hold two bags of lump.[p]I've been using one now (and I leave it fully exposed to the elements every day) and have never had a problem with moisture buildup nor have I had a problem with the plastic becoming brittle. Best 12 bucks I ever spent on an accessory item. Mac
  • Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    I picked up a dry dog food container from Target that will hold about 40lbs of lump and has a rubber gasket between the top and bottom.
    Works for me....

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Smoke-N-Smirk!,[p]Do you cover your egg and table?[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Ryan,Yes I do cover it when not in use. I made a skirt to put around it when cooking in inclement weather and made a full cover to slip over it when the egg cools.
  • Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Kevin,Yes I do cover it when not in use. I made a skirt to put around it when cooking in inclement weather and made a full cover to slip over it when the egg cools.