Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting to low cooking temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

i am a brand new user. a couple of receipes i have tried call for a temp of 250-275 degrees and i am having trouble getting down to that temp without completely shutting both dampers. it must be simple to do but i could use a suggestion. thanks.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Steve Dickson,[p]Its much easier to move the temp up than it is down. The best way is just to catch it before it gets beyond your target temp. If 250 is your goal, go ahead and shut both vents to where they're barely open when you get to about 235.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    RG,
    To add to that, to maintain 250, the top vents will be open about 1/8", or about half ways on the daisey wheel, and the bottom vent will be almost completely closed (1/16"). That is assuming a full load of lump. Old lump, or minimal amounts of lump can change things.[p]Granted, the method is to creep up to the chosen temp and make adjustments before it gets too hot. If you go over the set temp, close everything completely down and wait. [p]Opening the dome allows oxygen in, and the temp will rise after you close the dome. It takes luck and creative "burping" to get the temp to drop any amount...not advised because it usually makes things worse every time you open the dome.[p]Mike in MN