Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old v. New xls

Options
Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After watching Freds video the other day it seems to me that BGE went to great lengths to gain 1 or 2 inches of clearence. I believe that BGE under estimated the Egger at large. I'm the proud owner of the old model of XL and just like the large owner I have modified and came up with work arounds to meet my needs. For instance, need more dome room for that 30 lbs turkey? Take the fire ring out install your platesetter, drip pan and use a couple of fire brick halfs instead of the fire ring, presto, instant dome room. As far as drip pan clearence, if the platesetter is between the fire box and fire ring there is plenty of space, I've never had a fire go out, or don't use the platesetter instead use a 20.5 inch commercial aluminum foil pan purchased at any kitchen store, it fits prefectly on top of the fire ring under the grill and still have 3or4 inches to play with. As far as Freds video goes I found one small inconsistancy, the platesetter used to demonstrate the added fire ring to kettle lip in the new and the lack of clearence in the old was a new style platesetter the legs looked to be at least 4inches tall, my old style platesetters legs are only 2inches long. In conclusion IMHO R&D went to a lot of trouble for an inch or two, so old owners rejoice the difference is minumal and not worth a retrofit, at least not untill BGE comes out with the XL with a 6inch taller dome.
FirWalker

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    The changes were made to accomadate the new plate setter.

We're always working to make improvemens to the EGG®, R&D works especially hard.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Take it for what it is worth. I thought it was pretty cool for BGE to go back and address the issues regardless of their solutions. Kudos to those guys. But it is funny that you mentioned the dome though. That was the exact reason that I went with the large when I purchased. I thought that BGE came up short in the lid design of the XL. Yes yes yes I know that there are plenty of work-a-rounds for that sort of issue but.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    It seems like BGE is always looking to improve their products. And we benefit.
    If you look back at the older eggs you will see a lot of changes for the better made over the years. It would take a lengthy post to name them and when they were made.
    The change from clay to high temp material.
    The change from ceramic coal grate to cast iron.
    The change from 2 piece dome to single molded dome.
    The change to daisy wheel.
    The change to stainless air vent and spark screen.
    The changes in nests.
    The change to hinge spring opener.
    I am sure that i have missed a several.
    I'll bet some of the old eggers could add to this.
    Those are the ones that i appreciate.
    Change is good.
    Keep up the good work (r and d dept)
    jon
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Hey Bobby...You John and the rest of the people at BGE are always working to make things better and we thank you.
    Larry
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    You are right a few inconsistencies with the video but overall he did a pretty good job. The old plate setter does have much shorter legs than the new one, contrary to the video. My XL has the new hinge and the new handle but the old box and ring. I have a feeling that if we need to replace the fire ring and or fire box in the future we may have to get the newer styles as the older ones may become obsolete. The only reason I see so far for the design change is to allow for a deeper drip pan between the plate setter and the grid. I may be wrong I guess we will find out sooner or later. I would not recommend cooking with out the fire ring. I have heard Horror stories of people cracking the base that way. I believe Mike in Abita has that very similar horror story and the only post I could find. I would use a spider and or a flip ring from ceramic grill store before cooking with out the fire ring, But thats me. I hope Bobby-Q chimes back in. He would probably know the reason for the design change. As for performance My old XL works like a champ. No problems cooking a big bird but I have not tried it vertical.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=624459&catid=1#
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi guys, I just joined after lurking around for information about the XL. I've been trying to decide between the XL and the primo grill oval XL. I think the 2009 changes have tipped me to the BGE. This forum is great. Plus there are many dealers around me. With all the resources, warranty and improvements that have been made I think I'm sold. Now I just have to go out and pull the trigger. The video btw was really good.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    You won't be sorry. :) This forum has the knowlege, experience, recipes and talent like no other. BGE's customer service after the sale would be hard to beat. Enjoy your new Egg. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Looking at the video it looks like the dome is a little taller. Not sure if that is just optical or actual.

However, I agree. I think if there were more dome height the XL would be one heck of good value. Probably substantially increase the XL sales too.

GG