Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

is it time for a mini to compliment the large

Options
Sooner Egg
Sooner Egg Posts: 578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay I've been enjoying my large BGE since January and have loved everything I've put on it......but at times it seems way to big for just the wife and myself, especially if we're only doin a couple of burgers.....is this where a mini would be a better option than using the large, I'm really thinkin I need a mini to compliment my large just for times when the cook is small.....or maybe I just need an excuse to get another egg :P any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I found the small goes great with the large but I've seen some amazing cooks on the mini. :huh: Maybe it's time for a mini also :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    I say go for it. I'm having the same thoughts. We have a large and want to get a mini. I'm going to the Waldorf Fest and trying to justify spending the money. My 40th birthday is a couple of days before the Fest so I may just do it! FG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Yes it is an excuse to get another Egg, but what the hell? :laugh: -RP
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    as log as I have a reasonable excuse to purchase another egg........I'm doing it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    No better time than at the fest this weekend, should be all the excuse you need. -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Most posts I've seen on the subject suggest a large/small combo. :unsure: :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I'm saying that if you are just cooking for 2 people - get the mini. It's also easily portable compared to the small, which weighs 35 lbs more than the mini. I got a mini and just love it. I use it 3-4 times a week, where my large doesn't see too much action anymore.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily eggin for 13 years!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The Mini is fun to cook on but if I had to choose one, the small or mini, I would keep my small hands down.
    The mini is a very good little grill and great for travel. The direct cooking heat is more even on the small. The Mini seems to build a hot spot an you must keep the food moving more. If you are going to keep this as a home grill for smaller cooks get a small.
    If you want to travel with an Egg the Mini is your winner.
    Just my thoughts,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    We got a mini to go with our large, thinking it was just the two of us. It was too small, we got a med instead of the small. With the med we can use the guru on it. The small would need a different part. Go to a fest and look at the small vs the medium vs a mini.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    That is great advice. The Mini is "mini"...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Large
    Small
    Mini

a perfect family..... :P

except i could really use a medium just for baking....LOL
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I like the way you think.
    The name of the game is justification.
    Baking sounds like a good one.
    Such a pain to burn off your egg just for a short bake.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Large
    Small
    Mini

a perfect family..... :P

except i could really use a medium just for baking....LOL

Perfect family for me is:

Large
    Medium
    Mini

I actually use my mini a lot and I'm cooking for four--two adults and two children. I can easily cook 4 boneless breasts or 4 thick cut filets. I've also taken the mini to the park for cookouts with the kids and friends.

I say get the mini.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    We have a Large and a Small. Except for traveling, they do everything we want from cooking for company to making a couple of burgers for lunch. But the Small is too heavy for me to lift into and out of the car, so we're going to add a Mini for camping. Time will tell how much we use the Mini back at home. I've seen some great looking results here recently.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Small should be next. I use mine a lot when it's just the wife and I. All other gatherings warrant the large. Don't know when I'd use a mini. My wifes idea of camping is a weekend at the Pierre in NYC with the window open. :ermm:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Love, love, love my mini. I travel a lot in my car for work, I tested out the potential of taking it in the car with me. When the weather gets nice, I'll be eating good on the road too!

I haven't done anything creative on it yet, but it does steaks, burgers, chicken, and brats just as well as my large. It's been a nice addition to the family.
    03-18-09_1055.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I agree Darian! My small is really my workhorse getting 55 to 60% of my cooks. I love all my eggs, but my small is my go to egg! As you said the mini is a traveler's companion of choice.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Take this from another Sooner. Get the mini. Did you go to the Spring Game?
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Let's Go Canes!!!!!!!!!!!
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
    I think you should get the mini. My husband and I have a large and a mini and most of the time we use the mini for just the two of us. You would LOVE it!