Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

starting my BGE

Options
eggaggie
eggaggie Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Noob question

what is the best method to light my lump, lovely lump
what should I use?????

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    some use:

paper towel wrapped tightly in the middle with a light coating of vegetable oil or
    toilet paper & vegetable oil
    or
    MAPP torch
    propane torch
    weedburner
    lighter cubes
    electric starter

the main thing is light the lump in 2 -3 places which ever method you use....
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Kim - Ya forgot chimney...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    and anthracite nut coal for that real newyork coal fired pizza taste :laugh: i cant be the only one to use nut coal, or can i :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggaggie
    Options
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    i use those little Weber wax cubes I buy at my local Ace hardware......usually 2 does the trick
  • eggaggie
    Options
    kim, kinda silly, but on the paper towell method, do you just wind tighly the paper towels.....should they be in any inch in diameter?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i mostly use the weedburner, they are cheap at harbor frieght and a 20 pound bottle off a gas grill will last practically for ever. at camp i chip a section off one of those fake fireplace logs and use that or us the oil and paper napkin method. the egg is pretty easy to light. dont use charcoal starting fluid ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    There are nearly as many answers as there are eggers. Do a forum search and you'll see what I mean.

For me, I hit 3 spots for about 20-30 seconds each with a MAPP torch. Me like fire :evil:

If you use any of the "fun" methods (MAPP, weed burner, etc...), be sure to wear eye protection. Tiny flaming debris from sparking lump and eyes do not mix.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Just wind tightly in the middle...put some cooking oil on the towel or TP and place it in the lump...then light with a match...easy peasy...I use a propane canister which I buy at HD...I light 3 spots in about one minute...the canisters last about 6 months using them 5-7 times a week...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    two paper napkins or a section of paper towel ripped in half is fine.

lay them flat, lightly drizzle a little (not a lot) of oil in a zee shape back and forth.

twist into bowties, doesn't need to be tight.

it shouldn't drip or be soaked. just kind of translucent, like it looked when yer mom used to put potato chips or popcorn (buttered) in a paper bag. hahaha

light both ends, and throw them in the middle with some pieces of lump spanning over them. dry lump, fifteen minutes to 750 is my typical time.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • eggaggie
    Options
    stike wrote:
    two paper napkins or a section of paper towel ripped in half is fine.

lay them flat, lightly drizzle a little (not a lot) of oil in a zee shape back and forth.

twist into bowties, doesn't need to be tight.

it shouldn't drip or be soaked. just kind of translucent, like it looked when yer mom used to put potato chips or popcorn (buttered) in a paper bag. hahaha

light both ends, and throw them in the middle with some pieces of lump spanning over them. dry lump, fifteen minutes to 750 is my typical time.

perfect...thanks....to get to 750 that quick...is everything "open".....upper and lower regulators? or is the egg open?
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Start the fire whichever way is easiest for you

Wait 10 minutes or so until the lump has started going

Close the dome and watch the temps climb

If you want to use the platesetter put it in when you close the dome

If you are cooking at 350-400 do not let it go to 600-700 degrees as the BGE goes down in temp slower than it goes up in temp...
  • stike
    Options
    i have the lower vent open, daisy off, lid closed.

the draft gets going better for me when the vents are open, egg is shut.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Electric starter. In for 5 mins, 6 mins later 500 degrees.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The link below is a pictorial of the napkin / oil mail, thanks to stike.

The only thing I do different is put one left and one right of center and I do leave the dome open for 5 minutes or so.

The more comments about leaving the dome open or closed has got me wondering which is better. There is also some thought as to putting the two towels next to each other or apart.

Here is the correct link.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609698&catid=1

GG
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    all the pictures have been moved kent!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Just noticed and now corrected...

My reference link was old and I had not updated it.

Thanks, Kent
  • eggaggie
    Options
    yall are great...thanks!

i knew i did the right thing picking the egg B)
  • stike
    Options
    good lord man. hahaha

i use two, one each side of center.... those pics were from the very beginning. i use two now for a little extra speed.

i ain't gonna do any tests, because 15 minutes is good enough for me ("that's what she said!")
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    "good lord man"

Thought you would enjoy that comment. B) Got to have some fun in life.

GG