Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you could only have one

Options
Carlyle
Carlyle Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope this post is not one of those that has already been asked a million times before. I did a search of the archives and couldn't find my answer so....here goes.[p]If you could only have one BGE, which size would you choose. Let me give you a little backgound on myself. There is just the wife and I. Our two sons are married. One of then has two boys and the other has one, and hoping for more.[p]we will be moving to be near them next year but 85% or our cooking will be for just the two of us. I would on occassion want to cook whole turkeys upto say 15 pounds. I also like so smoke jerky.[p]I saw a demo of the BGE last week and just knew I had to have one. I have been a Webber and Hibachi man up to this point. Plus, I own several different sizes of outdoor cast iron Dutch ovens. The egg should be a great accompanyment to the dutch ovens.[p]Sorry for being so long winded.[p]Carlyle[p][p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Carlyle,[p]LARGE -- it does it all !!![p]
    Tim

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Carlyle,
    I'm a single guym over the hill age wise, my first, yes,first, egg was a large, I now have 3 eggs and one other cooker. If only one, I would go for the large, more room if you need it and you probably will after you learn to cook on it. My neighbors offer to pay for the meat if I will cook for them and I'm not a very good cook. ÜÜÜ My thanks to the forum for what I'm able to produce.[p]Mr.Large gets my vote.[p]cheers,
    New Bob

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Carlyle,
    I have the full set...But if I could only have one it would be the large with two grids.
    Larry

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    Carlyle,
    I would recommend a large for your first. A year from now we can debate the merits of the size of your NEXT Egg. Hope to see you back here soon.[p]Kip

• Unknown
    Options
    Carlyle,[p]Its just my wife and I at home, but I got the large and am glad I did. You can always cook small amounts on a large grill, but you can not do the opposite. I imagine there would be several opportunities for you to cook for a larger crowd, and you'd kick yourself every time.
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Carlyle,[p]A large would be logical considering the potential work load with kids and g-kids. It would also be a little easier for you desire for turkey and jerky. Some like myself like to cook pizza on the egg and the large is a great pizza and bread cooker with a place setter and a BGE pizza stone. If it was just you and the wife for cooking a couple of steaks, chops, pork loins, chicken, and the occasional butt the small would be a pretty good choice. The small is a wonderful, very portable steak and chicken cooker, but is very limiting on size.[p]
    Hope this helps!
    ashley

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Carlyle,
    I only have one and it is a medium.
    It was a good deal at the right time and I have no regrets.
    I cook for 2 to 4 usually, but have taken more on at times.

[ul][li]Cooking on the medium[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Carlyle,
    If you had any notions about moving your Egg around (say to take to a cookout or camping) and there will just be the two of you, you might consider the small. Otherwise, I think the large is best. As has already been said, you can cook a small amount of food on a large, but you can't cook a large amount of food on a small. Well, I've heard you can cook 2 big pork butts and I've seen photos, but you couldn't do a whole brisket or 4 beer can chickens, etc. Also, on the large, you can fit a 16 inch pizza stone and do relatively large pizzas (I buy 14 inch unbaked pies from the local joint and do them in the Egg).
    So, my opinion is go large.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Carlyle,
    I concure with the majority (so far). Go with the large. You can NEVER have too much closet or hard drive space, right? Grin! We're currently in the same boat as you, wife and me. However that's gonna change at the end of November as, assuming all goes well and knocking on wood, we're gonna be 45 year old first time parents! But if you can later sneak a Mini in, as I did, then life is absolutely wonderful![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, CONGRATS!!! See I told you I could and would keep a secret!!! Best to you and the Momma to be!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Carlyle,[p]Have a Medium, Small, and Mini. But my vote is for a Large. It doesn't have the size limitations of the others, and you'll find that, even though it's just you and your wife, as people starting tasting the food you cook on the Egg, you'll starting having a lot of "guests" and "pop-in" visits when the Egg is smoking away. I frequently have more than one Egg smoking away these days, and it's just my wife and I at home.[p]You can't go wrong with the Large. Later, I would add the Small.[p]TRex
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    RRP,
    May I second that and wish them well. [p]Regards,
    New Bob

• germanshorthair
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]Thanks for your e-mail on indirect heat. I'm sure as time goes by that many of these issues work themselves out.
  • germanshorthair
    Options
    Carlyle,[p]Before I bought my large, I asked around and found it to be the most popular by quite a margin.
    I think it will offer you the most flexability for cooking needs. You won't look back.

• Unknown
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]If bigger is indeed better, should a prospective buyer consider one of the competitors larger, or oval ceramic cookers?
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Smokin!,
    What ever floats your boat. There are NO competitors dealers in my part of the world. Since I've never seen a competitors model, far be it from me to say anything at all about them. My only comment is to stay well clear of the cheap WalMart knock off...[p]Kelly

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Carlyle,[p]I bought a large and a medium at the same time. I use the large more than the medium.[p]Go large.[p]Mick

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Carlyle,
    The large is the way to go. I have a large, small and mini, but if I could only have one, it would be the large.