Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook pressure

Options
mxdadx2
mxdadx2 Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:huh: new large. little misses has invited inlaws over this weekend for our first cook. spatchcock . concern is do I cook direct or indirect? If direct do I get a 2nd grid and 4" carriage bolts and built extender? please take it easy as I am still wet behind the ears.

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Indirect. Go to the Egg-cipes at bubbatim.com fer hep!
    Scroll down....Good slideshow
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    always always consult the oracle

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

i did not have a raised grid or plate setter for two years , no problem

good luck..since it is tuesday why not take the pressure off. pick up a chicken. tomorrow evening stabilize your fire, control your anxiety with a bit of "medication' and do a practice run
    wash several medium sized taters dry rub with olive oil sprinkle a little kosher salt and throw them on at the same time..if you do not have a thermo pen .. get one
    taters are perfect at 210°
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Chicken & potatoes in 1 cook.

Dome 400° for about 1 hour. Cook until chicken is 165° internal. Spatchcock will work just as well.

chickspud2.jpg

Under the chicken put a tub of spuds, onion, green pepper (or hotter if you like) a couple of pats of butter. The potato tray should be done when the chicken is done. Put the cheese on the spud try when you pull it off the egg. Tent the tray for about 10 minutes.

I have both reds and baker potatoes, onions, and a few jalapeño in the tray – if you don’t want the heat then bell’s are fine.
    chickspud1.jpg

A shot of the chicken done to 165° internal (both breast & legs).
    chickspud3.jpg

The tray after cheese and tented.
    chickspud4.jpg

Just before the plate was wiped clean.
    chickspud5.jpg

One really has to work and messing this cook up. Easy, quick and great tasting.

This cook was done using the adjustable rig and can also be done using the plate setter & grid.

GG
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    That looks pretty good I need to try
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    it is great, easy, easy clean up
    my favorite summer night cook

click for show

th_mini048.jpg