Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now That The Canadians Are Engaged - Smoked Meat?

Options
Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All right, now that I know there are a bunch of Canadian Eggers onboard here, here's the question:

Has anyone found a good recipe for Montreal Smoked Meat that works for them? I've tried doing it with the bagged corned beef we get down here in the States and can never get it right. Never quite sweet enough and always too salty.

I can recommend heartily making your own back bacon. These guys make a brine/flavor solution that is great (http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_46&products_id=12) and that amount is good for almost 100 lbs of meat! I get a whole pork loin and cut it in thirds. Brine all three per the directions, then smoke over pecan - my favorite. Freeze two and start eating the first.

Bob V

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    The only Montreal smoked meat I see in my future are the Canadians after the Bruins get done with them....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i hate starting the playoffs with the canadians, would like to see the game as it approaches the cup. but i think this might be a good year for our bruins. i was thinking smoked gorton, maybe you spell it creton, all the recipes i see call for milk, i dont think they make it that way down here.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    That is the stuff with the bacon fat on top served on crackers right?

I think beefstock instead of milk. Not sure though. Never had it, only remember seeing a recipe at one pt.

Go Bruins...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    thats the stuff, we eat it on toast, bread, crackers for breakfast and lunch sometimes. was thinking about a beefed up version with tobasco and smoke.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Montreal Smoked Meat is actually Bear Meat.
    The Bs Goalies will finally come down to earth!
    Habs in 6!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Bob V,

Montreal smoked meat is cured like pastrami. It is seasoned after the cure by a spice mix that closely resembles pickling spice under vacuum for a day and then smoked for a day at low temp.
    If you google it you will find a few variations on the spice mix mainly with or without juniper berries. It is smoked over maple.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Tabernac - an anglophone trying to replicate the equisite taste of Montreal Smoked Meat is sacrilegious.

What is the world coming to?

Bob --> you mentioned that your son was going to Queens University in Kingston. I highly recommend that he get in the car or take the train, go east to Montreal, a brief stop at Lafleur's for some steamies, some poutine, a short visit (if possible) with the Canadian Ballet at Club Super Sex on St. Catherine topping it off with a visit to Schwartz's for some Montreal Smoked Meat.

After his initiation, then, and only then, can he try to make Montreal Smoked Meat.

But then again, I could be wrong!

Michael
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey - He followed the green line down St. Catherine two weeks ago! He's one of the Queen's cheerleaders (the only American on the squad) and they marched with the Queen's Bands in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. I'm not sure whether he has made it to the ballet just yet, but then even if he did he probably wouldn't tell me!

Bob V
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    and don't forget Fairmount Bagel :P
    canuckland