Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinion please on a cook

Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I have duty on Sunday to furnish and cook the nightly meal for my local Ronald McDonald house and have decided to do something aside from the lasagna/spaghetti, etc. that everyone seems to cook when their turn comes up.[p]What I decided on is a recipe from the BGE pages that someone on here (I can't remember WHO did it) compiled. I can't remember the title of it but it's rubbed with Tequila/walnuts, etc. My question is this: do you think I could brine this loin say from Friday evening till Saturday evening, then rub for the overnight directions in the recipe?[p]Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Sandi,[p]
    One thing I would keep in mind for this cook is to keep it simple. When I had a real job my team at work would volunteer at the McDonald House. Most of these folks were not in the way for spicey or exotic food. A simple brined pork loin was always a hit as well as a brined turkey breast. The nice thing about this was you could give someone something they could eat cold on a sandwich as well as heat up in a microwave later.[p]I don't want to talk you out of the direction you are going, but personally I would not take anything that has alcohol. Many times we were feeding families with children, so something "normal", but good was always a hit. I remeber several times being asked to chop the onions finer so the kids won't see them for the chili-mac or spagetti. :)[p]Good luck and thanks for volunteering.[p]Ashley

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Sandi,
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Brining a loin should be 12 hours or less, and as far as the alcohol thing is concerned, it will be gone in the first few minutes of the cook. Good luck.

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Zip,
    I'm ahead of you on the children's issue. I always check the day before my turn and get a head count on the kidlets. Usually, I'll make hamburger patties in the shape of Disney characters, mac n cheese, etc. for the kids. I know how picky kids can be when it comes to eating! LOL

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Sandi,[p]
    I know what you mean about calling ahead about the children. We found out the hard way not once, but twice. The concern about the alcohol was of a religious nature. I don't have anything against it personally, but I know many that are even if the alcohol is burned off in the cooking process. It seems that many folks are drawn to their religion when faced with illnesses.[p]I do know one thing, there was never a time that we worked down there where they were anything but grateful. I do know that it is nice to feel appreciated like you are down there.[p]Ashley [p]Let us know how it turns out![p]Ashley