Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Options
tbonemac
tbonemac Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,
Got my Medium BGE about a month ago. :woohoo: I have cooked the steaks, burgers, chicken and chops and have not been let down yet. :cheer: Can not believe I went this long with a gas burner before going to a real cooker. Building a Cypress Table Now, pics will come soon.

This is a great forum to learn the "How To's". The ideas and recipes are great to avoid making the same mistakes. :laugh:

My question today revolves around the pork tenderloins. I have been reading the past posts and recipes but I have a problem. The meat is marinating in the frige now for a cook tonight. I do not have a raised grid, :ohmy: I went with the cast iron grate, plate setter and the half moon grid.

Do I cook the tenderloins direct on the cast iron in the bottom position?
Do I cook indirect over the plate setter,
or do I try and get both pieces on the half moon grid?

Looking for some advice for tonight's cook. :unsure:
Thanks

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Tenderloins don't have much fat, and can easily burn. With what you have, a platesetter with legs up and a grate on top will be the safest approach. Put a pie pan under to catch any drippings. Dome about 350 should do them fairly quickly.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Direct or indirect will work. I usually go indirect, dome about 400*, depending what other sides I have on. Platesetter legs up, drip pan, then grid. More importantly is to watch the meat temp and pull at 140* to 145*. Then cover with foil for a 5 plus minutes and let rest prior to slicing. You could toss on some canned bicuits about the 80* temp of meat and they'll be done about the time the rest is done. You'll have to raise the dome temp a little.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I always do my pork "tenderloins" direct on my CI grid...hot and fast...pork loins are a whole different storiy...tenderloins suck up almost any kinda flavor you want to add to them, a wonderful cheap piece of meat that's sure to please.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do tenderloins direct with about 350-400 dome temp. Give them a quarter turn every 10 minutes and pull at 145 internal. give them a 10 minute rest under foil. -RP
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i go with wessb and azrp and there was a post yesterday re:pork chops with the same answer direct and quick
    tenderloin is great but it dries out quick.
    if yours are particularly tapered try folding the thin end back over and tying so it is equal diameter for the whole lenght or the tail will be over done. for me 140 is tops. you over shoot that by much and you risk dry sometimes BUT i like a little pink .
    what follows is shameless self promotion, but really really good imo [noting that i left the humble part out as no one would believe that anyway]

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=521957&catid=1
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    Everyone, Thanks for the quick advice. Makes me feel better hearing my options. Guess my next purchase will be the raised grid. Glad I have been eggonized and glad to be part of the group.

Bill, I will definetly be trying the tenderloin wrapped in sausage and bacon.

Tim in TN