Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Bone Fiorentina w/ Sauteed Spinach

Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got this monster chunk o' meat today and am going to try this Mario Batali recipe: T-Bone Fiorentina
Here is the bad boy:
IMG_1905.jpg
A full 3" thick weighing in at a hefty 3.3#:
IMG_1908.jpg
I plan on cooking it on my CI grid on the spider over the coals. What temp does anyone recommend and should I cook it the full time (suggested 10-12 min/side) on the grid, or go for a long sear on each side, then roast on a higher grid? Please let me hear suggestions. I really don't want to bugger up this beautiful piece of meat. Pictures to follow when it's done. Shooting for 7PM.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    lump charcoal burns at 1200° cast iron near the coal is hot with a capital F.. 10 minutes per side and it will resemble the lump..
    follow the trex method on the naked whiz site.
    1min rotate 1 minute flip 1 minute rotate 1 minute remove
    . you can do the sear down low and then finish on the raised.
    pulling that paricular piece of meat at 120° with a 15 minute rest will give you medium at time of service..
    internal temp whan you put it on the egg matters use the thermo pen .
    good luck
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    When I do steaks that thick, I put my CI on the spider and a SS grill on the fire ring. Roast them to about 115 internal then simply remove SS grill and sear on the CI for about 90 sec. per side. Thick steaks with bones are harder to cook uniformly throughout so they tend to be a little rarer closer to the bone. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Buxwheat
    I think what I'll try is the sear as you describe then flip the spider feet down and continue roasting on the CI until 120 internal. The spider w/ feet down puts the grid at about fire ring level. The meat has been out of the fridge for one hour now, haven't checked the temp though.
  • lowercasebill
    good luck post pics if you can trust the thermopen
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Nice!!! Follow bill's advise.Don't dare overcook that beauty!Remember you can cook everything more but you can't uncook anything,no matter how good you are! :woohoo: :whistle:;)
  • KcLeaf
    KcLeaf Posts: 62
    what is a spider?, ci?
  • lowercasebill
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/

what i wish i had bought instead of the plate setter it is however on "the list"
  • Buxwheat
    OK, I seared it 2 min/side w/ rotations each minute, 600* dome. Pulled the steak, removed the grid, flipped the spider, replaced the grid, and put the meat back on. Closed vent down til 475* dome and cooked 10 min/side. Thermapen read 90* in center. Flipped again and cooked another 5 min/side. Thermapen read 100*. One more flip and 5 more min and temp 120*. Pulled and rested 15 min. 130* in center. After cutting loose from bone and slicing, majority of meat brown center. Some pink center. Very moist, even the most done pieces.
    Here it is after 1 flip after raising grid:
    IMG_1909.jpg
    Again after finishing cook:
    IMG_1910.jpg
    Here is my son, Numero Uno Carnivore, gnawing the bone:
    IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    This was undoubtably one of the best dishes I have ever made on my egg. Even though it came out more done than I would have liked, it was still extremely moist and the flavor was excellent. The wifey likes her steak medium, so the majority of it was just right for her. My son and I (as well as my daughter and her husband) prefer ours medium rare. Anyway, the only thing left after the three of us attacked this beast was the bone (and as you can see, even it was well cleaned). I will do this again and shoot for an internal of 110*. I think Popsicle had the right idea about the reverse T-Rex. Probably should have roasted it first, then seared at the finish. The spinach was excellent, by the way. We will make it like this again soon.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Always remember, the larger the roast or piece of meat, the more carryover cook you will get! Something that thick will easily give you 12-15 degrees carryover. You are correct, pull at 110 (maybe even 105). Also a bit further from the coals may have helped the cook be a bit more controllable, internal temp wise, and you still would achieve a beautiful external sear. (That was a HUGE chunk of Cow!! You did great! :) )
    Great looking cook anyway!! :laugh: Gotta find a butcher like yours!! :woohoo: :woohoo: (Your son is after my own heart....lol...he got the best part!! LOL!) :woohoo:
    Happy eggin! ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when you get that thick, it's basically a roast.

better to sear a bit then go indirect, or rasie the temp with a slow roast an then sear at the end'

sounds like it turned out pretty good anyway, since it's the one of the best dishes ever, right?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I concur,SIR!!! ;)
  • Buxwheat
    Thanks for the tips, Michelle. My daughter and SIL are coming for their spring break next week and I want to do this dish again. I will combine everything everyone suggested: Higher in the egg, sear at the end, pull at a lower temp. I'll probably nail it next time, but at least I didn't ruin it on my first try!
  • EdP
    EdP Posts: 1
    This is the favorite meal of all our guests. I've made this countless times. Just follow Mario's recipe. Get the 3 1/2" thick T-Bone and cook for 10 minutes per side. Don't futz with it. take it off and let it rest. it'll be perfect. There's nothing better than this on the egg. Best advice, buy prime beef for it.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA