Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice from a veteran...

big bopper
big bopper Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a large green egg...the vent on the top of the lid does not fit real snugly, and falls off when I open the top if I'm not real careful about opening it very slowly. And, of course, a chunk broke off of it on about its third trip to the patio. How can it be made to stay on? Is this a warranty issue? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    please specify: dual function metal top i.e. daisy wheel or green ceramic cap
    bill
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    you dont say if you're referring to the daisy wheel or the ceramic cap, but since you said it chipped I'm assuming you mean the ceramic top (rain cap)...mine has never slipped off on my LBGE or SBGE just from opening the dome...so to fix it, sounds like so good high temp tape around the inside of the cap might do, but personally if it is new, yeah, I'd consider it warranty and try to get a better fittin lid ;)
  • It is the dual functionwith daisy wheel...Thanks!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no problem - here's the hint - click on this site and then scroll down to item 37 for the pictures which prevent that very problem.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#faqtop
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • My problem is not the wheel staying in place, it is that the entire top falls of of the lid...Thanks!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I just re-read this, you broke a chunk off your 'DAISY WHEEL'!?! It's cast iron. Sorry, your post makes no sense to me...hard to answer unclear questions bud...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Then you must be on a major slope! Typically why they fall off is because the sliding vent slides and creates enough to pop it off. Please take a minute to go back to that site and read it again.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    big bopper,

I think warranty would cover it if you bought from a dealer. I have had that a few times and just ran some fireplace gasket around the daisy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yep...the cast iron - the tab that the handle goes into snapped off when it hit the patio... Thanks
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    it does not fit snuggly but it does not fly off either.. it may be that the ceramic dome chimeney is a bit more tapered than ususal.. pics would be nice,,, i am not sure it is a warranty item but good business practice suggests that they would replace it.. part of the problem with your thread and the answers is "I THINK" [meaning me and me alone] is that none of us have ever heard of this before..i have been around for a few years and this is a first for me.. get a new top and if that one is loose put some gasket material around the inside..
    if you can, post a pic if not send me an e-mail thru the forum i will send you my address and post the pic for you .. good luck and never hesitate to e-mail the mother ship if your dealer is not helpful
    bill
  • Goobs
    Goobs Posts: 15
    Big Bopper

(I am not a veteran..) Anyways, I have broken the same thing you did on both the daisy wheel for my medium and mini... I wasn't paying attention when I put it on, and didn't align it correctly... as the other posters have said, if the daisy wheel is aligned properly, it will not fall off when the top is opened... on the positive side, I kept using them sans the carrying handle and use a potholder to grip it when I take off after a cook to replace it with the rain cap... no big deal for me...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    there are ceramic tops and daisies which do not properly fit the chimney. my small has that problem. i remember someone posting before about a large with the same issue.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Since my last post to you seems to have been removed in the last half hour, allow me to re-phrase: If there is an abnormal amount of sprue left on the inside of your daisy wheel top, you might have to remove some of it so that said top will then fit muchly more gooder, and maybe not fall off when you lift the dome open.
    As I said, I have four eggs and only one had this problem. You might even talk to your dealer. Again, good luck
  • Stike, funny enough, but I seem to remember something about that as well.
  • Thanks, Bill...I am going to go back to dealer and see what they say, but it is as you described...the whole top flies off when I open the lid normally...I have to open it very slowly and pay attention to when it hits its stop point...otherwise the momentum of opening the top lets the entire assembly slide off and hit the deck behind the grill. In 2 uses, the top has come off four times, and the last actually busted off a chunk of the cast iron (and left a hole where air can escape from the grill...OK, too much info, but if I get nowhere from dealer, I may post back to you and see what you think...Thanks, again, Big Bopper...