Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp help using plate setter please

Options
giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok,
I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have a med egg.
Yesterday I wanted to do a turkey at 325.
Got egg completely clean. Used new lump and to the top of the fire grate. Got it started and when lump got going closed lid and had the top and bottom openned about an inch. Got the egg to 350 and plate setter in.
I could not get the egg above 175.
Really frustrated so any help would be appreciated as ususal.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Put the platesetter in the egg as soon as you light the lump. It will suck a lot of heat from the egg while warming it up. Light the lump, close the lid, allow it to come to temp. Don't start cooking until smoke through top smells good which will take 1/2 to 3/4 hour after lighting. Don't put water in drip pan as that will also suck a huge amount of heat. Patience grasshopper.
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    Thank you Master po,
    So I start the lump wait until it gets going or right when i put the starter stick in to light?
    Also am i doing anything wrong with the vents?
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Just make sure the fire is established, maybe five/ten minutes after lighting, then put the platesetter in to come up to temperature with the Egg. Mark
  • I would start the fire and put in the plate setter to come to temp with the egg. You will notice that you will need to open the vents a little more because of the restricted airflow. On my large, it takes about one hour for the egg to stablized.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Good advise from CE and WW. My 2 cents...after you get her goin' and you have ur plate setter in and ur grid and ur drip pan with no water, leave the bottom vent and the daisey all the way open till you get close to your cooking temp. For 350* dome when I get close that temp I start shutting down the vents. Bottom to about 1/3 open daisey about 1/2 way shut with the small vents open. tweak the daisey till you get your cooking temp stable. Let it stay there till your sure it is stable. :) Happy Eggin'
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    I agree with everyone's advice. A cold plate setter will crash the temp until it gets warmed up. The last think I'd add is to make sure that your lump isn't blocking alot of the holes. Sometimes, if my lump isn't large, it obstructs the holes in the bottom grate. If my egg isn't getting hot, I take a look through the bottom and Use a bent coat hanger (or a wiggle stick if you have one) to unblock any holes in the grate that are blocked. This can cause a problem also.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Your vents may be a little constricted. Give her an inch and a half if that makes her happy and gets her to temp. Anything with mass will rob a lot of heat including a big chunk of meat. With a little experience you will have it all dialed in.
  • mdevers
    mdevers Posts: 20
    Options
    new to BGE. have a large. My wife is a big believer in a drip pan with water in it. convinced without water meat will dry out? advise advise short of dumping the wife.
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    You guys answered my question. You guys are wonderful.