Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fire grate question

NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
edited 8:52PM in EggHead Forum
This is what it looks like right now.
511632650_CtAiZ-L.jpg

I know I am not due for a replacement yet, however what should I prepare for? Another year, another month? Just trying to make sure I do not get caught with an issue at the worst possible moment.

nooBBQ,
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,134
    i would get one now and put it away until you really need it, it could go years like that or break inhalf tomorrow
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Get one now, then your set.
    ·
  • The fire grate is covered by warranty, at least that is my understanding.
    ·
  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    Dealer went out of business/no longer a dealer since then. If this was a expensive part I'd be more inclined to get "active" about it, but as is, I might replace it with a self made SS version.

nooBBQ,
    ·
  • It not expensive. I got my for about $18 and have used only a couple of times. I am still using the original which has a 1/2 inch crack from the center of the grate to the edge. Like fishlessman said, it go any day or go for several month. Been using the damage grate since september of last year with about three cooks a week, both high heat and low cooks.

Andres
    Zuni, NM
    ·
  • Jersey DougJersey Doug Posts: 460
    I agree that getting a new one as a reserve is probably a good idea but, looking at the locations of the cracks, I'd guess that all of the stress in the casting has been relieved and it will last forever in that condition.
    ·