Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket slicing

Options
Hawkeye
Hawkeye Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Through a chain of events today, I was forced to throw a 9 pound brisket on the egg. Long story but did not get on Egg until 5pm.
This thing is still at least an hour or more from being done.
My question is this, does it HAVE to be sliced tonight. If I get it off the egg when at proper temp, can it be cut in the morning?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    yes, you can cut it in the AM. You can also double wrap in heavy foil and put in a 170* oven (or as low as yours will go, not below 160)

This will help hold a brisket for longer time than a cooler, if need be. Slice against the grain and serve or vacuum seal.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :side: I shut mine down and let it coast [was a little longer away from home than expected]--got a little dry but perked right back up with a little au jus :P
    you can slice one anytime after cooking ;) I don't slice it all until ready to eat the rest :cheer:

were you really forced to Egg the Brisket? :ermm:
  • Hawkeye
    Options
    Yes, was kind of FORCED. Father-in-law showed up with it when they came over for dinner and wanted me to "throw it on", like it was a small filet or something. I have never done one so had to do some research and run to the butcher for some more lump.
    Did not get on the egg until 5pm. This thing is 9 pounds so still may have two hours or more to go on the egg.
    What would happen if I put the egg down to 200 or so and let it go until mornning
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) I would! What is your internal temp now? Might tent it, too.
  • Hawkeye
    Options
    well just hit another snag....thermoter is broken, can not get an accurate read on internal temp
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :pinch: what a day/night you've had :blink:
    Set your dome to 220, wiggle the ashes out, and get a nap! You will wake up to check when your internal clock tells you ;) I'd tent it, too. Have faith in your Egg :cheer: YOU NEED SLEEP.
  • Hawkeye
    Options
    thanks a ton for your help