Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Day of Vacation Cook

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our vacation was really nice and really needed, but I am glad to get back home. The last days were with friends in St Louis and while I was there, I went to a local grill store and scored three bottles of Uncle Henry rubs, a bottle of Blues Hog BBQ sauce and some mulberry wood for smoking.

We got home early afternoon and I just had to cook something, so decided on a spatchcocked chicken, seasoned with DP, Pineapple Head and smoked with some pecan that I picked up while in Arkansas! WOW! I think that pecan has moved to my favorite wood!

I added a sweet potato for a side.

12-04-09SpatchcockandSweetPotatoont.jpg

We added a salad of tomatoes, feta cheese, basil and parsley, with a vinegar and oil dressing. PDG!

12-04-09TomatoSalad.jpg

Here we are all plated.

12-04-09SpatchcockSweetPotatoTomato.jpg

The leftover chicken is going in a hot dip tomorrow night!!

Comments

• egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Man, that looks good. How did you cook your 'tater :silly: (temp, time, etc.)
  • BobS
    Options
    I just washed it and layed it on the grill at the same time as the chicken. I was running about 350 for most of the cook. I lost track of time, but think it was a little over 2 hours. The chicken was done, but wanted to crisp up the skin in the last 20 minutes, so I pushed it to 400.

As you can see, I was cooking on a raised grid. I never turned the chicken.

The potato was a little undercooked, so I finished it with 3 minutes in the microwave.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    I've never tried a potato on the egg, but I will now!
  • BobS
    Options
    They are good any way you do them!

Regular baked, like I did tonight.

Wedges coated with EVOO and your favorite rub.

New potatoes coated in EVOO and S&P or rub.

1/2" sweet potato slices, coated in EVOO and S&P or rub.

etc.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    I've done it just the opposite! I've started the potatoes in the microwave and finished on the Egg.

Very good!

John
  • BobS
    Options
    I agree that giving potatoes a head start in the microwave works well! In this case, I thought I had enough time for them to get done, but the temp was a little too low.