Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help

KcLeaf
KcLeaf Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok, i tried my first pizza on my medium egg ( 12"stone)
used store bought pizza dough, as haven't had time to make from scratch. Put it on parchment paper, dome temp 500 After getting egg up to temp put first one on. It seemed like it took for ever 15min + dough still not done. second one dah caught it just in time before burning the bottom, Half way through on both took parchment paper off, (don;t have a peal yet)which was a pain. second one better Seems like i have done something wrong , not hot enough, inferior dough, sequence seems like a peal would really help did the parchment paper hurt?
any comments greatly appreciated.
ps. toppings peperoni, first one cheese done, meat not quite, second, cheese bubbling toppings better but still, ? definitely a timing issue?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You didn't say how long you let the stone heat up, I usually like to let it heat for 40-60 minutes. A peel is pretty much a necessity. The parchment won't hurt a thing and is insurance against the dough sticking to the peel. When that happens you will be making a calazone. -RP
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    84 - First question, did you pre-heat the pizza stone? We usually put our stone on while the coals are cooking off so the stone temp is super hot. Never had an issue with undercooked dough.....however;
    How thick did you leave the dough? If needed (which it usually is with a store bought dough), we use a rolling pin to make sure the dough is good and thin.
    The parchment should be of no consequence.
    Your egg temp, if accurate, should have been right on.
    Just my thoughts....Hope it helps a bit.
  • KcLeaf
    i started the lump with two small squares of fire starter. let that burn off, spread the coals around a little bit. loaded up place setter legs down, grill grate, pizza stone on top of that. It took a good 15 minutes to get to 500 and it would not go hotter, Seems like it should have though cause i have seared steaks. bottom vent wide open, daisy wheel, peep holes wide open to maintain, temp. never really could close. which they when done should force the heat down some.
    i have only been at it a month first pizza thanks to all
    used a rolling pin, first one the dough was like rubber, to get it to spread. , i like it thin but couldn't get it there. the dough boy let me donee
  • KcLeaf
    once it got to 500, and gave it another five minutes , then put first pizza on, after reading the post, posts again I should have waited been more patient. that is hard. dome maybe was at temp but the thermal mass , et all was not.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    First, make sure you have enough lump and the grate is not stopped up with old ash or small pieces of unburnt lump.. try flipping the platesetter so it is legs up, then the grate, then the pizza stone... leave bottom vent open and no daisy wheel.. it may take 30-40 minutes to heat up (check you dome thermometer calibration with boiling water)... it seems you have a temp issue more than "ingredetent" issue
    Kent Madison MS
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi L.C.
    I always enjoy reading and learning from your replies to questions.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Little Chef
    Kc....Next time the dough is springy and elastic like that, just walk away for 5 minutes, have a beer, then try again. The dough has to 'relax' a bit. Sometimes I will walk away 2 or 3 times before I can get the dough as thin as I like it.
  • Little Chef
    Thank you Bordello...As always, you are too kind. Thanks for the positive feedback! :):blush:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    After a few beers? :lol: I bet you don't care how the pizza dough does,just keep walking away and having more beers!!! :lol:
  • Little Chef
    Eventually you'll forget you were hungry..... :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: Seriously though, it only takes a few extra minutes! :woohoo: