Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering purchase of second EGG???

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so its 3yrs later and Im ready to buy another grill...already have the large BGE. So which one do I get...the small, medium (mini is out!) Would those Forum members who have more than one please offer their opinions as to which size I should invest in. Also, and this is important to me, "why did you buy more than one EGG?"

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    RLA,
    They just had more dollars than they had sense. You should know what you will really need and get the most use out of. Buy one and then smoke it to the max! But, of course, I’m not an egg owner. So, maybe I don’t buy into everything size cooker the egg puts up for sale. I chose my size ceramic cooker and I'm happy with it. It does everything I need. If you can’t go bigger with BGE - why go smaller??? Do ya just got too much money to spend?

• Unknown
    Options
    RLA, I have a large and a mini. Got it to take camping, love it. I would suggest a small, if it is for small, quick cooks. You have multiple eggs for different reasons, mainly why use a huge egg for something that a smaller one can cook. You spend less time, less lump, plus it is just plain out cool. Eggheads are different, a proudly, sort of warped group, and we bask in that identity. Spend your money on whatever you want, you earned it.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Hickory~Nut,[p]You shouldn't be critical of someone's choice of purchasing another egg when you don't even own one. There are many reasons to purchase additional cookers.....[p]1) The small is much more portable than the large and can go camping, to games, to family parties, to school events, etc.[p]2) A butt can be cooking on one and the other can be used to cook the evening's dinner (I like to cook butts and freeze in lunch sized portions for through the workweek). This still gives me the option of having egged food for dinner that night.[p]3) You can use one for cooking the main course and the other for sides like beans, hot german potatoe salad, grilled veggies, mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, etc. Your sides often call for a different dome temp than your main course.[p]4) The small uses less lump than the large. If the cook will allow it, why use a larger one than necessary? This is particularly true if you are cooking for just 2 people. Some things like large roasts have to be cooked on the bigger cooker simply due to size needs, and of course if you are feeding a number of people you would want to use a larger cooker, but if circumstances allow the use of less space, why waste the lump?[p]And, as far as the money goes, if a person wants to spend money on something he or she loves doing, who are you to say that is wrong? I'd rather see someone spend money on a hobby like this that they get such pleasure from than see it used for more destructive things like gambling or drugs. You could make your argument for any hobby....NASCAR races cost a lot of money to be involved with...scuba diving costs a lot of money...photography costs a lot of money...basketball and football games cost a lot of money....it's just a matter of how you choose to spend it. So what if someone here chooses to spend it on a cooker because they like to smoke and grill food? That's not your business, plain and simple. Just because you feel it would be a waste of your money to do so doesn't mean that others feel the same way. [p]If you're going to participate here, welcome. We look forward to hearing about your cooks. But don't give negative feedback to a post or BGE when you have no experience with the company or cooker. The question was directed at folks who have multiple cookers. As my mother used to say "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". [p]Tonia
    :~)

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />RLA,[p]I have two larges and a mini and I am very happy with my setup so far. I started with a large, added a mini during the "not going to make them anymore" frenzy and then added a 2nd large. My original plan was to get a medium but they are so close in price to the large that it was worth the extra to get more space. [p]That being said, from my experience I would go with another large or a small (soon to be added to my arsenal) depending on what you want to do. The large would be my choice if you want to do multiple parts of a meal and lots of it (we do have 4 burners on our stove so why not multiple BGEs) or you want to feed a ton of people (I have done 70 with leftovers). The small would be if you are looking for something for smaller cooks or a closer to the coals sear for your steaks etc. and it can still be used for doing the multiple parts of a meal thing. [p]Of course this is just my opinion but I would do the same thing if I had to do it all over again, only sooner.[p]Good luck with your decision and have a great day.[p]Chuck
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Well said!!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hickory~Nut,[p]You sure are a grumpy old know-it-all aren't you.[p]I'm starting to get the feeling that for some reason you are threatened by this forum.
    Is it because you don't feel part of this community because you own another style cooker? Well, as many "other" ceramic owning forum members will tell you, it's simply not an issue here unless you continue to make it one.... as you have.[p]Share your cooking experience and people will listen...... continue to post like you have and you may as well be one of those soapbox corner doom and gloom snake oil preachers
    that everyone rushes past to avoid.[p]If you would like to discuss this further then please email me.[p]John

• germanshorthair
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I agree with you. This forum should be positive and upbeat.
    I've never heard of anyone challenging other ceramic grille's on this forum. Lose the attitude!!!!!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    RLA,
    We have a large and a small. I think the medium would be too close in size to what you already have. Plus the small is more portable. It can easily be taken on trips, just buckle her in well.[p]We bought the small so we could cook side dishes while the large was in use. We also use it for doing smaller portions....or just smaller meals. Breakfast sausage is one example, you don't need the large to do a dozen bfast links. Sometimes it's just fired up for a couple of burgers for lunch. Hot dogs on the small, burgers on the large when we have a large gathering. Also it gets used for doing our chili and beans. The dutch oven fits it perfectly. [p]~nikki

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    You could not have said it better. It is so true that which cooker you cook on becomes a non issue when folks are posiitive. With as much as can be learned on this forum, and as generous as folks are with their knowledge, I personally think everyone owes the forum their most positive posts. If you are in a bad mood.....just read. [p]A large heee to you, dudemang.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Hickory~Nut,
    Kind of interesting, he is equally annoying on his own forum! Just a negative guy, I guess. Must be BGE envy!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    QBabe,
    Ditto....VERY well said[p]Wess

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RLA,[p]Buy another one. The main benefits for me are the obvious ones - the extra capacity and the ability to cook different items simultaneously at different temps on the separate grills. For instance, have ribs going low and slow on one while grilling chicken/veggies/burgers/whatever on the other.[p]As others have said, and as Smokin' Todd and I discuss all the time as we buy more and more grills and spend more and more money on football tickets, tailgates, etc, if you can comfortably spend the money, just spend it. I'll never be a good financial advisor nor will I ever have a great deal of money, but if it's something you enjoy, just do it. I don't know if I could prove in a court of law that I *need* more grills or *need* to make road trips to DC and Philly for Jets away games this year, but going to games gives me a great deal of enjoyment, so I'll do it. I work like a freak all week and am starting school up again next month, so I think I deserve it![p]So go ahead and treat yourself![p]Wanna-be motivational speaker,
    Cornfed

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    RLA, I have a LBGE and a Medium Grilldome. Love the combination; this works perfectly for me. I would agree that if you want a little portability the small or mini would be better. Mediums are just a little cumbersome to lug around.[p]I bought the MGD at a garage sale. Ganga Deal @$50.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Hickory~Nut:[p]Well, The Princess says I am senseless, but at least I make good use of them. By the way, cookers are important, but the real test is the cook and his technique . .
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Touche'[p]My feelings exactly. Life is short. Play Hard. [p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    QBabe,
    Great answer! You pretty much covered all the bases....in fact, I think I should be looking for a small...just because. [p]Mike in MN

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I woke up in a cold sweat this morning after having the craziest dream last night. I dreamt I had gone out and bought 8 large BGE’s, 12 medium BGE’s, 20 small BGE’s and 30 Mini BGE’s and had replaced all my shrubbery with BGEs! My two cars were BGE’s! I even dreamt I had installed one on top of my roof replacing my chimney and one was even in bed with me replacing my wife! My dog had turned into a BGE! I looked in the mirror and my head had turned into a Mini BGE! A gigantic flying BGE landed in my front yard and a bunch of BGE (Big Green Extraterrestrials) scrambled out of it and took over the whole neighborhood with MAPP torches burning down houses. You guys and gals are having a bad effect on me that I don’t think is good for a healthy mind. Therefore, I won’t be back. Say what you may, but I’ll be better off for it. And I’ll be a very happy camper in a much more sane “other” ceramic forum that is much more open minded to different opinions without getting nasty and combative or pressing the delete button. [p]PEACE! LET’S EAT! YEA BGE!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hickory~Nut,[p]You have a very warped sense of logic.
    Funny how it's always everyone else but you.
    Don'y let the door slap your ass on the way out.[p]John

• Unknown
    Options
    Mike in MN,You get my vote. I told someone the other day that if they had to pass the hat at the funeral to pay the undertaker that I will have broke even.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Hickory~Nut,[p]What would you do if you liked cooking on ceramic and wanted to take one fishing, camping, tailgating, beach, ect without carrying a large and heavy cooker? A small egg seems to fit the bill pretty good for me as well as a mini, a WSM, and a Portable Kitchen as well as all my other cookers. Each cooker has it's place and usefulness for my style of cooking and items I cook. Just like all the tackle and reels and rods I have for fishing. They are all useful at sometime, but not everytime based on what species I'm guiding for. [p]Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I think I'll pass on checking with you on my future purchases. [p]Ashley