Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok - I\'m doing a ham for easter

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've checked a few recipes, but I think I'm going to keep it simple.

I have a cooked hame (about 15 pounds).

I'm going to give it a bit of a rub of dry mustard, brown sugar, and a dash of pepper.

I plan on putting it in the rack with a drip tray, and the temp at about 250, with apple wood chippies. I figure about 5 hours or until the internal is about 180.

Comments, questions? threats? ;)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I pull my pre-cooked hams around 140-145F.
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Richard Fl wrote:
    I pull my pre-cooked hams around 140-145F.

Ok, thanks!

I'm assuming drinking is mandatory - so I'm all set to have a pitcher of bloody ceasars. :evil:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Hey Ottawa,
    Try out Egret's Maple/Bourbon Ham Recipe.
    I sounds great. I'm giving it a try tomorrow.
    Send me an e-mail and I'll send you back the recipe.
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Grand Oeuf Vert wrote:
    Hey Ottawa,
    Try out Egret's Maple/Bourbon Ham Recipe.
    I sounds great. I'm giving it a try tomorrow.
    Send me an e-mail and I'll send you back the recipe.

Hiya, I saw the recipe on the forum here - looks great.

Being a newbie at all this - I'm going to shy away "surgery" (besides - needles scare me :blink: )
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Not planning to stab with needle either. (Cause I don't have one). Going to poke with knife and drizzle over ham. (As per RichardFL's suggestions).
    I'm in Ottawa working next week. Any restaurant suggestions? Staying out in the St. Laurent/417 area.
    Chimo hotel I think?
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Hey Grand Oeuf Vert,

I am doing up Egret's recipe too -- it will give me a chance to try that injector I bought a while back.

The local newspaper just finished publishing its annual dining guide. You can find it at:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Life/Dining+Guide+2009/1402649/story.html

Part 4 gives the restaurants on the East side of town. Since I live in a different part of town, I don't have much chance to check the restaurants out in that part of town. I do remember seeing a few good reviews for the Coconut Lagoon -- an Indian restaurant -- and it is not that far from where you are staying.

There are a lot of restaurants in the downtown area. Check out the Byward Market and the Elgin Street areas.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• OttawaEgg
    Options
    Grand Oeuf Vert wrote:
    Not planning to stab with needle either. (Cause I don't have one). Going to poke with knife and drizzle over ham. (As per RichardFL's suggestions).
    I'm in Ottawa working next week. Any restaurant suggestions? Staying out in the St. Laurent/417 area.
    Chimo hotel I think?

You're right on top of the "Lone Star". Great fajitas and steaks - mesquite grilled !
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    That should work. Stumbling distance back to the hotel!
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I am doing a post-cooked ham, so basically giving it some egg flavor. this is the first time for me. any great suggestions?