Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wegmans lump still the cheapest

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The price went up this year from 4.64 to 4.99 for a ten pound bag. Hard to believe that an up scale super market is cheaper than Walmart. Quality has been good and I haven't found any foreign substances in it yet.

There is a restaraunt depot 20 miles away.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i agree you really cannot beat it... no off smells no crap, made in usa, price is right and available all year AND [drum roll please] wegmans has duck fat!!!! ;)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Tom, I just picked up my first bag there as a test on bill's recommendation, but it was $5 & change, can't remember the exact price, looking forward to trying it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip
    Options
    bill, quality-wise, how does it compare to the walmart 10lb sacks of royal oak, because if it is about the same, I would officially have not a single reason left to ever step foot into a walmart again :woohoo:
    happy in the hut
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Marc:

I can't tell the difference between it and Royal Oak except I haven't found any moonrocks in the Wegmans
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    don't know, i don't go to wallmart and the only royal oak i have ever found is south american crap [and i am being kind]. that said my favorite is humphries lump but it is a hike and it is more expensive,.. i have been using wegmans since they opened oct 2006. since it was on the way to visit mom it was not a lump run,,, it is now but it is worth it wegmans prices on every day stuff is much less than acme. like tom said i never found any alien material. i did e-mail corporate an ask who their supplier was , they did not respond.
    plus the smaller bags are easier to handle and the glossy paper [imho] provides a bit of a humidity/vapor barrier compared un coated paper of other brands.
    bill
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    Does anyone know how royal oak compares to cowboy?

Tom
    Dunedin, Fl.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Here on the Central Coast of California we can get Sonora brand from Mexico for $2.99 for a 7 pound bag at the local supermarket. The stuff burns hot with practically no ash. Now that's a good buy. It is all I use.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    most Cowboy that I have had has sucked, very tiny pieces, about the size of a quarter, cloggs up my large egg causing a lot of flashbacks... it works ok in the mini, & that's what I use it for; RO is much better in my experience
    happy in the hut
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    I had to use cowboy lump,the Wal-mart here did not carry Ro. Picked up 50lbs in Ocala after the Eggfest, anxious to try it, thanks for the feedback.

Tom
    Dunedin, FL.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Go the this web site for lots of great test information on lump:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA