Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small Egg and Chicken

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,353
edited 5:16AM in EggHead Forum
ChickenOnSmall.jpg
<p />I am finding that the small egg does the best chicken! Seems to burn more even, and the proximity to the coals, with a slightly raised grate sems perfect. Plus, must be something about the dome being smaller and cooking more from the top. Maybe it's magic.[p]90 minutes starting at 300 and settling on 250, then 10 minutes with the sauce at 300. The small egg (and my new spring hinge) is a great little cooker! Each size seems to have its own favorite food.[p]Beers!
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings

Comments

• ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,939
    Nature Boy,[p]Damm....Dem is some gooood lookin' thighs!! [p]Do you ship "Overnight"?[p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WingnutWingnut Posts: 26
    Nature Boy,[p]I always thought the same thing too. Could it have something to do with the large amount of moisture in such a small area? [p]Wingnut

• WingnutWingnut Posts: 26
    Nature Boy,[p]I always thought the same thing too. Could it have something to do with the large amount of moisture in such a small area? [p]Wingnut

• Is the small model big enough to do a whole chicken on a beer can (a drunk chicken or whatever they call it)?[p]Is there enough height?

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,353
    King,
    Yes. Using the regular grate level you could easily do a beer butt chicken. It's a great lttle cooker. I think overall I use it more that the medium and the large. [p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Wingnut,
    Maybe a little to do with that. What, you don't think it is magic? [p]Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • QBabeQBabe Posts: 2,275
    Nature Boy,[p]Those are some FINE looking chicken parts! Thanks for sharing...It IS really magical, isn't it![p]That's a fine looking new spring hinge you've got there as well. Ours came late last week, but we didn't get a chance to switch it out this past weekend. Hopefully next weekend we can get it done and start enjoying it.[p]Tonia
    :~)

Thanks Tonia. I sure enjoyed chowing them down.[p]It is a great hinge. What a major improvement! You'll love it.[p]Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MACMAC Posts: 442
    Nature Boy,
    YOU got a new hinge? Kule! How does it work? do you have any problems with gap? I love my small. use it alot. Time to replace the gasket though. GRRR...ATE Lookin' parts there. YUM!

MAC,
    Seals great. Having a little trouble getting the large to seal with the new hinge, but the small works perfect. Shweet one handed operation.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    NB,[p]No surprise about your efforts with chicken, or with about any foods.[p]The spring hinge for the small is truly a gem. It represents a marked improvement in the small. Installation can be a challenge (at least mine was), but at the end of the day, the verdict is "thumbs up." [p]Puj