Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Fried Turkey Question

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are some of you who know the answer to my questions.

My neighbor got a turkey fryer for his birthday and decided to use it today. The turkey turned out great but now he has almost 4 gallons of oil left that he needs to do something with.

How many times can you re-use cooking oil for frying a turkey?

Can it be stored in the original container without going bad? And for how long?

Does it need to be screened or filtered before saving?

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Spring "Flash Fried" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    I usually get two turkey cooks out of a batch of oil. Strain it back into the original container when cool. Store in a closet or somewhere temperature stable. On the second cook after the turkey we usually do a batch of coconut shrimp and/or chicken wings while the oil is still hot. After that round the oil is done (too many small burnt bits). FG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I bought a battery operated pump with a cheesecloth filter made for turkey fryers think about $20. With peanut oil I could get 4-6 cooks or 3 months whichever came first.
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    The oil cost him more than the turkey did. Tell him if he had an egg he could have done 2 turkeys and had a much better tasting turkey. :P
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    John - Yes, to all the questions.
    When cool, strain as well as you possibly can! The finest mesh strainer, preferably lined with a coffee filter. The little 'bits' go bad faster than the oil does.
    Store the oil in the coolest place possible... obviously taking up that much fridge space is impracticle, but refrigerated is ideal.
    The length of time it will last will depend on the conditions the oil is kept in. If refrigerated, you can get 6 months. If kept at say 70 degrees, two months tops. Bottom line, the "nose will know" when it has 'flown south'.... It will smell rancid, and you will know it by the smell.
    You can fry in this oil for as long as it holds! Oil in fryers in restaurants are often near Guinness Beer colored before discarding. But, they are also used on a daily basis. As long as the oil has not gone rancid, it is good for frying.
    Hope this helps!
    PS- Peanut oil does not hold nearly as long as a canola or veg oil....don't know which he got.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Now that there is some good advice. B)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks guys. Then it would appear that to maximize the use of the oil one should cook multiple turkeys and one time and then dispose of the oil accordingly. Or, clean the oil well and store it in a cool place for 3 to 6 months, or until it smells rancid.

Great. I will so inform him.

Thanks again.

Spring "NOW I Know Most Everything" Chicken
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    I thought you never had to change it?

http://www.dyersonbeale.com/