Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loin Lamb Chops - Advice?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the nice things about getting serious about portion control is that we're eating things we couldn't afford previously. Case in point: I bought six 1-1/4" thick loin lamb chops to grill for our Easter dinner. I have no idea how to cook these things. The other complication is that because of continuing issues with gaskets I am reluctant to crank the Large up to more than about 500º. I do have a spider and a 13" CI grate, however. It works well for beef of about the same thickness - 4 minutes on each side at 475º dome results in a perfect medium rare steak. Would the same thing work for the lamb chops?

Comments

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Should work fine. I cooked some for the first time last week. Brushed with a little EVOO, little bit of Raising the Steaks, cooked at 400 degrees direct till medium rare. Delicious!

Slick
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    This is a killer recipe, even if I say so myself (start marinating them tonight) :

Lamb Loin Chops

8 (1-1/2 inch thick) loin Lamb Chops

Marinade:

3 T. fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
    2 T. Honey
    2 T. Red Wine Vinegar
    2 tsp. dried Oregano (crumbled)
    1 tsp. dried Rosemary (crumbled)
    1 tsp. minced Garlic
    1 tsp. coarse Salt
    10 T. Vegetable Oil
    2 T. Olive Oil

Preparation directions:

Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Trim chops of most of the fat and transfer them to a large ziplock bag. Pour marinade in bag, seal and refrigerate several hours, or overnight.

Cooking instructions:

Remove chops from marinade and pour marinade into a small saucepan. Reduce marinade over medium-high heat until there’s about 1/4-1/2 cup remaining.
    Meanwhile, stabilize egg at 400-450 degrees with a raised grid. Cook chops, turning once or twice until internal temperature is 125 degrees (rare).
    Place chops on a serving tray and pour on reduced marinade.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Cooking them similar to what you do with beef should be fine. I like to sear at 500 for a minute or so and roast at 400-450 to an internal temp of about 125-130. I happen to prefer DP Red Eye Express on lamb, but I've also made an awesome balsamic vinegar/apricot preserves glaze for lamb chops as well.

Roudy
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Doug,

Egret's recipe is the traditional "Greek" lamb recipe (I know - I'm Greek, and doing a variant on that for our Easter next weekend). It will come out great.

If you are up for something a bit different, try this one. (Apologies to those who have seen this before - I'm pretty sure I've posted it here in the past) I've made this 3 or 4 times for different groups of people, and it goes over fantastically well. The original recipe comes from Bill Jameson's 'Sublime Smoke'. Full writeup and some additional pictures on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/05/recipe-pomegr-1.html

Pomegranate%20Lamb%20Chops%202.jpg

Here's the recipe:

Pomegranate Lamb Chops
    8 lamb chops
    1 cup pomegranate juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
    4 tablespoons minced jarred garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix the pomegranate juice, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, and garlic, and marinate the lamb for at least two and up to eight hours in a zip-top bag. I suggest the longer side of that range for maximum flavor. When finished, reserve the marinade.

Mix the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and rub the chops with it. Smoke for 45 minutes to an hour at 225-250 degrees. In the meantime, reduce the marinade by about 1/2 by simmering on the stove. Serve on the side as a sauce.

Enjoy!

-John
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN3220.jpg
    After you sear Doug
    DSCN3221.jpg
    Put them bone side down and roast

Ross
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Lots of good advice, and some interesting recipes. Thanks! I ended up stabilizing the Large at 450º with the CI grate on the fire ring. Olive oil and a sprinkle of Raising the Steaks on the chops. Four minutes + four minutes + a quick sear on the edge and they were at 135º internal. Served with new potatoes and steamed asparagus.