Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon

Options
Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have an opportunity to get some fresh salmon and want to slow smoke some of it...I've made it before but it never lasted long enough to know the answer to this question...any idea how long smoked salmon will last (if not eaten) :blink: when refrigerated? Think it would be ok when thawed if I freeze some? vacuum packed of course...

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you are doing true smoked salmon, the cold smoked brined version, well.... the reason they did that was to preserve it.

the recipe i have says three weeks or so in the fridge at home lightly wrapped in paper. that's for freshness, not safety. vacuum packed, you'll see it hanging in stores with "sell by" dates a couple months out
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We love smoked salmon. The longest the leftovers have gone in our fridge is 3 days - so I know it will last at least that long. We've never frozen it, but I would think it would be OK (but not as good as just cooked) when defrosted.

To clarify my comment - I'm talking about smoking fresh salmon with no brining.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Collage-Salmon.jpg

I always love this question.....my answer is "it will be long gone way before it goes bad". Heheee.

Actually, I think the fridge life is at least 3 or 4 days. I prefer mine the day after smoking, and I keep mine on the moist side. If you go for a drier produce, or salmon jerky it should keep longer. It's good plain for breakfast, in omelets, for snacks, in salads or as a filling for things like homemade ravioli.

tdplated-crop2DSC07031.jpg

I always start off with alder or apple, but if you want to kick the color up.....try adding some cherry in the last hour or so.

DSC02744a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery