Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting charcoal

Options
golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE (lg) for about 5 months now and had some really great meals. However, I still struggle with lighting, bringing up to temp, etc. It typically takes about 45 minutes to get egg to around 350. Is this reasonable?
Also this week I'm having guests and would like to do steak (550 degrees) and salmon (350 degrees). Suggestions for phasing, ie..start with steak and bring temp down, or vice versa? :whistle:

Comments

• Wisconsinegghead
    Options
    make sure that you are getting good airflow. Maybe take the daiseywheel off until the fire gets going good.

My experience is that it is much easier to bring the temp up, than it is to bring it down. I am new at this too though.
  • golffer
    Options
    How long would it take you to get temp from say 350 to 500? If I cook salmon first then steak.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    That sounds a little long to get to 350. There are multiple methods in use to light the egg, the one I have settled on is the twisted paper towel dipped in oil. I fill a chimney with new lump, put the paper towel under it (on top of the grill itself) & light it. After about 10 minutes, the lump is lit & the flames are coming out of the top, I then pick up the chimney, remove the grill, & dump this lava into the firebox ontop of whatever other lump I already have in there, & the egg starts climbing in temp very quickly. 350 comes around 15 minutes into the process. Of course, if you want a faster method, go with the weed burner
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • golffer
    Options
    Thanks. And to go from 350 to 500, how long? Is the weedburner available at most hardware stores?
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    This is the same method that I use and it works very well for me too. Although, I imagine that I'd appreciate the Mapp torch as well if I ever tried it.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Once I get to 350°, 500°+ seems to happens very quickly. Maybe 5 minutes or so. Ofcourse this all depends on air flow.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I'm new to this as well, but I've found a couple of tips and tricks.

1) make sure to clear out the ashes and that you have good air flow
    2) start with some paper towel with some cooking oil
    3) build a teepee with your lump - hand picking the lump rather than dumping it in.
    4) make sure your vent is open and take the daisy wheel off or open it right up.
    5) light the paper towel and close the lid
    6) I've also found that a small fan blowing air into the
    open screened vent can get the fire going quickly.

I'm sure there are some old timers on the forum and lots of old posts that can provide you with more detail.

My biggest problem is getting the egg hot enough when the place setter is on the egg. 250-350 doesn't seem to be a problem, I can't get higher temps to work for long periods of time - things seem to settle around 300-350 once the place setter is in.

In terms of the cook, I would be inclined to cook the steak first stopping a short of the desired doneness and then wrap in in foil letting it continue to cook while the salmon cooks. I find it easy to drop the temp from 600 to 350 by closing the vents and dasiy wheel. I have problems going the other way around.

Eggssperience...I wish I had it.

MOS
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    from 350 to 500, assuming you have a proper fire (good lump, no blocked holes...), sometimes as little as 30 seconds to a minute, you should be able to see the needle move fairly quickly. Of course, if you are stabilized for a while at 350, it will take longer for the temp to start climbing after you open up the door... but it shouldn't be a problem to raise the temp fast. Of course, the other alternative is to maintain 350 & 500 at the same time with a second egg :)

IMG_2100.jpg

I got my weedburner from Harbor Freight, about 20 bucks...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Cory430
    Options
    Also a method that I use alot :P Having 2 eggs certainly makes cooking at different temps a whole lot easier!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can get to 750 in just under 20 minutes with new lump, no ash, and good draft.

i do the (light!) drizzle of oil on a pair of paper napkins, twist them, put them in the lump and light them. bridge some lump over them, open all vents (lid SHUT). fifteen minutes and i have a clean burning fire at easily 500
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You need to get all the gear in the Egg before it gets up to temp, so it all heats together. As far as the temps when cooking indirect go...I've heard some do pizzas near 1000 degrees :ohmy:
  • Gotta get a weed burner! Ready to go in 15 min. Sear steaks on both sides at 800-1000 degrees and shut down until 350 for the salmon.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I agree - I guess it didn;t sound like like on the post.