Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHAT BGE ?

GROM
GROM Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
NEW HERE FOLKS , LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR ADVICE. STEPPING ALL THE WAY UP TO A BGE.BEEN USING A WEBBER KETTLE FOR 15 YEARS , FIGURE I'M A BIG BOY NOW . WHICH ONE TO BUY . WE'RE A FAMILY OF 4 AND DO SOME ENTERTAINING . SHOULD I GET THE L OR THE XL. I'LL WAITE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK. THANKS EVERYONE !!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi Grom, welcome and kick of the CAPS :) I would read a little on here and see what you think. I would do the large or the large and the sm or med instead of the XL. the ability to have two things going at two temps is nice. do a search for just "new egger" or "thinking of buying" and you will get tons of past posts on that subject. you will not get anyone who was glad they had waited to get one I can tell you that! LOL Julie
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    For about the same money you can get a large and a small, a much more versatile combination. -RP
  • Get a large, or a large and a small, or a large and a medium. The price of a large and a smaller egg is about the same as an XL. You can cook two different meats at 2 different temps, or main dish on one and sides on another. You can make some wondeful vegetable dishes on the egg.
  • I have an Xl and a Large as I do big cooks often and stumbled on a good deal on a large. While I love both and having the ability to cook several different things at once, it does seem as if the Large is a bit more versatile. There are accessories out there so you can increase the cooking area of the large to as much if not more than an Xl. You would not wrong in getting a large. Chances are you will end up getting another Egg somewhere down the road and the Large is a good starting point. If you do cook excessive amounts at once like I do the Xl may be your choice. There are several forum members that use twin larges. I do plan to get yet another large sometime soon. The Xl Seems to be about twice the size of a large when sitting side by side. Just like a big car it will use more gas.
    I think Most will agree to go with the Large. I like both it just depends on how much real estate you want. You will be happy with either choice. You will be surprised in how much better your food is from the Weber. Moisture retention is awesome. Another great point of the BGE is this forum. There are some very talented cooks/ BBQ'ers here to help on any topic, recipes and accessories. Good luck and enjoy your new Egg. :)
    IMG_4776.jpg
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I have a large and have cooked for 3 or 40 without a problem.

What are you waiting for...Jump in the water is warm :P
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    You name my large yet? How about the brisket plans?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Grom, Stop yelling please! We can hear you. Buy a large and a med. That will give you the most in versitility. (wow, that's a big word for bubba after a few drinks)lol
    We have 2 larges and a med. I just don't care for the XL. Not enough toys.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    welcome , grom.
    as i have only had one drink [so far] let me translate for bubba,,, CAPS on this forum are considered to be shouting [not that you would know that and no appologies are needed] as far as the egg purchase ..
    conventional wisdom here is a large and small [or medium] is more versitile for the same $$$. many of us have more than one [i have a large and mini] my suggestion is get the large get to know it and then get a second egg of your choice once you have settled in.
    good luck and welome
    bill
  • I agree with Panhandle Smoker - the large is going to be the most versatile for cooking for your crowd.

Since it's going to be your first egg, it will suffice for nearly all your cooking needs. (Note that I said "first"). Then you can decide what other size will be the right compliment to it.

Good luck.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily eggin for 13 years!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hi Grom,
    Unlike everyone else I would go for the XL. I am still new here but had to make the same choice you are making a couple of weeks ago. I got the XL. But since the top and bottom didn't match when they put it together, my dealer let me take home their demo Large egg until they could get me the XL. I did about 3 or 4 cooks on the large and it worked great and the food was awesome. Having a chance to use the large before I got my XL made me that much happier with my decision to go for the XL. To me there is much more space on the XL. You can get multi-level racks for the large to give yourself more grate space, but it is still pretty crowded in my opinion. I have a multi-level rack for my XL to give me even more grate space so I can really pack on some grub while still having plenty of space to work with and around the meat. As far as getting a small and a large for the same price as the XL, i'm not sure. My XL was $1000 and BGE just raised their prices on all Eggs except the XL. I think the large was around $760 or so. I'm not sure how much a small is now, but I imagine it is more than $250, i could be wrong. There is definitely an advantage to be able to cook at two different temps, just not sure you can do it for the same price as the XL.
    Anyway, just my opinion. I am definitely glad I went for the XL over the Large especially having had the chance to cook on both. No matter which way you go I'm sure you will love your BGE. I couldn't be happier.
    Nick
  • bubba tim
    What Bill said, :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: On my 2nd, Thx Bill. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The following is a recording: :woohoo:

I often hear that the large does have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i am trying to catch up but i have a cold and a fever you may have to go it alone tonight i will do my best but suspect early crash ,,, good luck with your mission
    bill
  • bubba tim
    GROM, trust the Wolf, he knows!
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I have a family of four and like leftovers and entertain a lot. I was determined to buy the XL. My dealer talked me out of it - even though he had an XL in stock and just sold his last large. I have a very honest dealer - Chim-Chimneys in League City, TX.

I bought a Large and have since bought a Medium. I love both. I'm kind of torn on this question. If I could only have one, it would be the Large. It is very versatile. However, if I KNEW I was going to have two I might be tempted to go XL and Medium. The Medium is much more fuel efficient than the Large and I can only imagine the fuel requirements for the XL. However, since the Medium handles most of the needs, I wouldn't mind firing up the XL for the big crowds. Again, though I am VERY happy with my Large and now Medium combo

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    I have two large eggs. The second one was purchased in the last month. Before the second egg, the first has served our family well. There are just two of us but we entertain regularly. On a single grid level on a large I have cooked 3 whole chickens, or 3 pork butts (7lbs. each), or 6 racks of baby back ribs, or 40 ABTs, or 6 tri-tips , you get the idea. The large has a decent capacity as is, which can be expanded with various setups. Good luck with your decision.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I have a family of four also. We entertain often and I have a large. Love it and can do so many more things my neighbor with an XL can't do. The extra room between the grid and plate setter helps with drip pans and such. I also have a grid extender that doubles my cooking area on low an slow cooks. Many have stated on this forum that instead of an XL get a large and small for the same price.
  • I'm WAY happy with my large.
    Granted we are only a family of three, but I've cooked for twenty on the thing!
    I'm in the camp of going with a Lg. first....Then as demand dictates, go with another...being a medium, small, another large or even going to the extra if need be!
    Personally for me, a large was the right way to go!
  • WELCOME! IF YOU HAVE BEEN USING A WEBER KETTLE I think that has an 18" dia grid- which would be about the same as the large. If your existing 18" grid isn't big enough, go with the XL.
    I'd be surprised if you needed an XL, you can fit a lot of food on a Large. And with practice you get better at it. The XL will use up more lump for the same cooks you could do on a Large.

Everyone here will tell you they love their Egg(s) and get what they have, "...you won't regret it!". I will sort of do the same, I recommend you do what I did and get the Large. After using the large (and visiting this forum)for awhile if you feel you need more-like another Egg-evaluate your needs at that time.

I got a mini in December and have found I can do most of my cooks on that for the 4 of us. The cook itself is easier cooking on the large, but it's frequently more convenient cooking on the mini.

Would I recommend you get a mini? No. Get a large and learn how to use it and get the most out of it before you consider a second Egg.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    I pondered the same question for weeks while I searched for the best price on mine. I chose the large and have not been disappointed. I would do the same again, and if money was no object I would get two smaller ones than one XL. Easier to move, cook on and two temperatures at the same time gives you much more flexibility.
    IMHO